Hydrangeas no longer blooming

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 4 hydrangea bushes on the eastern side of my home. They've been blooming reliably for over a decade and basically I've ignored them and let them do their thing. However this year I only have two blooms. See pic. Am I supposed to cut them back or prune them? Should I just take a hedge trimmer to them and start over next year? Google wasn't all that helpful. There is a fair amount of dead branches but that's how its been every year. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3390.jpg
    IMG_3390.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 4 hydrangea bushes on the eastern side of my home. They've been blooming reliably for over a decade and basically I've ignored them and let them do their thing. However this year I only have two blooms. See pic. Am I supposed to cut them back or prune them? Should I just take a hedge trimmer to them and start over next year? Google wasn't all that helpful. There is a fair amount of dead branches but that's how its been every year. Thanks.
A bloomless hydrangea isn't necessarily an unhealthy one.
Too Much Shade
If yours is planted in a spot where it isn't receiving enough sun, you won't see blossoms. This is often a problem when a gardener plants their hydrangea under some trees that aren't fully mature or too close to a house or a fence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
A bloomless hydrangea isn't necessarily an unhealthy one.
Too Much Shade
If yours is planted in a spot where it isn't receiving enough sun, you won't see blossoms. This is often a problem when a gardener plants their hydrangea under some trees that aren't fully mature or too close to a house or a fence.
If the hydrangeas is planted under trees, the trees could be taking nutritients from the soil. I am not a big fertilizer fan, but its logical that in that case fertilizer would work, such as bone meal. Perhaps that is what it needs. As you said it has bloomed in the past. As far as pruning, please note if the blooms appeared on old wood or new wood. New wood can take sever pruning, down to mid calf, but old wood is not happy with severe pruning, just perhaps a foot will be enough, or a casual reshaping.

Ask a Question