Hybrid fruits

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Someone gave us seeds of sugar apple from Thailand. When the tree bore fruit, it was of good quality. We planted the seeds of those fruits and gave away some seedlings to our circle. Almost all the seedlings grew and bore fruit with good quality except on tree that we gave to my sister. The fruit was bigger but not as sweet and the flesh was not thick unlike the original with big fruit, thick flesh, sweet taste. And the reason? It is a hybrid fruit so the characteristic of the mother fruit may not be inherited completely.

So the recommendation - it's still best to get the seeds from the seed store.

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had sugar apples, though they sound delicious. I am not a big fan of apples- but occasionally I will have a craving for them. Did the fruit have a similar texture to a pear? I have had an apple from thailand before and it resembled a pear-like texture prior to the pear ripening.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I assume this applies across the breadth of seed propagated plants especially the hybrid varieties. The F1 progeny is less vigorous than the parental strain which necessitates a prospective farmer to source his seeds from companies. I had raised a butternut crop some time ago but the seeds looked inferior and I eventually decided against replanting them. I think it works to the advantage of seed companies.

Ask a Question