Papaver hybridum 'Raspberry Breadseed Poppy'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
2016-06-23 Papaver hybridum 'Raspberry Breadseed Poppy' (close-up).jpg

Papaver hybridum 'Raspberry Breadseed Poppy' (close-up) (from my garden, June 23, 2016). The 'Raspberry Breadseed Poppy' has 5 inch, purple-blotched, vibrant raspberry blooms made more fantastical by 100s of white anthers and a lime green ovary. This flower was very difficult to capture since each flower opens and then wilts away within a few hours. I had to wait a week to catch one almost fully open to photograph.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Papaver somniferm it is. I grew them for many years due to their beauty. It is an opium poppy highly illegal in the great USA, but grown extensively in Canada in small clusters. To collect opium takes much labour and many hundreds of poppies- much easier to grow marijuana.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
That is gorgeous - and what a treat to capture it in all its glory since it wilts away so quickly!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's absolutely beautiful!
I have a soft spot for poppies, because my boyfriend gave me a poppy when we started dating:love: I still have it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How gorgeous! So fancy looking and just breath taking to see!

I am also learning a new thing from @Durgan today. Didn't know that there is such thing as opium poppy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Papaver somniferm it is. I grew them for many years due to their beauty. It is an opium poppy highly illegal in the great USA, but grown extensively in Canada in small clusters. To collect opium takes much labour and many hundreds of poppies- much easier to grow marijuana.
I purchased this plant via mail from "Annie's Annuals & Perennials" located in Richmond, California. I think they would be interested to know they are selling an illegal plant!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Do you have a picture of the bulb left after the flower disappears?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased this plant via mail from "Annie's Annuals & Perennials" located in Richmond, California. I think they would be interested to know they are selling an illegal plant!
These are
yes these are opium, and you might think they are illegal but they are not, hence Annie’s Annuals and many others selling them. Totally legal. What IS illegal is processing the cut dried pods in any way ie grinding them up for tea or trying to extract the opium. That is highly illegal. Many people have opium poppies growing in there front yards and don’t even know it;)

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over here opium poppies are grown on a small scale in the south of the country, to partially supply the requirement for opiate based drugs in the country. They make a useful break crop on an arable farm, the growing is regulated and fields are restricted to those with no public access. Apparently they are quite tricky to grow well. The heads are harvested before they are fully ripe, the seed capsule and top few inches of stem are combined, the seeds winnowed out and go for bread making etc, the green parts are taken and the opiates extracted using solvents such as acetone.
Around East Anglia hemp (Cannabis sativa) is grown: again regulated, a Home Office licence is needed, only low THC forms are allowed to be grown and the level of THC is monitored; too much and it's bonfire time. Hemp was a traditional crop in the UK for many centuries before dying out in the late 19th, early 20th century. It was revived in East Anglia in the 80's it makes a useful break crop, the fibre can be used for rope, cloth and quality paper, the seed goes for hemp oil; waste from this is used for animal food. The soft centre (pith) of the stem goes for animal bedding; especially for animals with allergy problems.

Ask a Question