How to weed your garden?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I pull them all by hand. Some weeds go deep, like dandelions, and aren't easy to just pull out without them regrowing. They sell small tools for that, but I generally just keep pulling. My garden is designed to outcompete weeds once it's matured, so I can keep pulling knowing it won't be too much of an issue in the future.
Yes I hate dandelions. They take over everything. I find that they spead most when they dry up to thay white version (I don't know the technical term).

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes I hate dandelions. They take over everything. I find that they spead most when they dry up to thay white version (I don't know the technical term).

That's because all that white fluff is attached to seeds waiting for a breeze or some other disturbance to send them flying. Dandelions go from bloom to seed very fast, which is why they spread so easily. Many seeds will fall into grass, and as they start growing, they'll get mowed and die long before they set seed, but dandelions are so quick that they end up everywhere.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My aunt and my mom used to pull weeds by hand. I'd do it too, but the crazy truth is that I like weeds and don't want to get rid of them:) Weedy lawns look artistic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My aunt and my mom used to pull weeds by hand. I'd do it too, but the crazy truth is that I like weeds and don't want to get rid of them:) Weedy lawns look artistic.
They are driving me insane, personally. I think its my OCD. Problem is, every time I get a chance to actually go outside and pull them by hand, it rains, Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Annual weeds are easy as you can either quickly pull them by hand or hoe them if there's room (you can get narrow hoes).

If they're perennials you can try pulling them but some have deep roots. As you obviously have not a lot of space for digging them out then you can use a small, two pronged, hand hoe.

An old carving fork would work OK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

To be honest probably 50 percent of my lawn is "weeds" and not grass...the aforementioned creeping charlie, wood violets, clover, dandelion, mint running rampant and other things I can't identify. But it gets mowed regularly and never needs water or fertilizer...very lush and green.

I only battle weeds in the perennial and vegetable beds...both for aesthetics and because some vegetables do not do well if they have to compete with invasive plants. I planted a bed of 18 asparagus crowns a couple of years ago and they really need a weed-free environment to thrive.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You can weed your garden by pulling the weeds carefully. That is the only way you can avoid damaging your crops. Avoid using herbicides because most of them are toxic considering that you have greens that can be consumed while raw. Consider timely weeding to increase your yield.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Why not use the dandelion flower and make your self some wine, I have a old guy who comes and picks all the flower off the dandelions to make wine, so on my street you see lots of them growing in front yards, just so he can make wine.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Consider covering weeds with several layers of newspaper and eventually they will dry out since they will lack sunlight. You can also pour vinegar on weeds to exterminate them. You can also pour salt on weeds that are not near crops and they will die out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why not use the dandelion flower and make your self some wine, I have a old guy who comes and picks all the flower off the dandelions to make wine, so on my street you see lots of them growing in front yards, just so he can make wine.
Wow I've never heard of this before. How does he incorporate it to make wine?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Consider covering weeds with several layers of newspaper and eventually they will dry out since they will lack sunlight. You can also pour vinegar on weeds to exterminate them. You can also pour salt on weeds that are not near crops and they will die out.
Vinegar and salt? Hmmm two things I constantly have in my kitchen...thank you for the ideas!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Vinegar and salt? Hmmm two things I constantly have in my kitchen...thank you for the ideas!
Good to know! I never would have thought that salt or vinegar would kill weeds. Does it keep them away for a long time?
I know that salt keeps bugs away too!

Ask a Question