How to weed your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have weeds that are starting to pop up despite my work in getting rid of them before I started my garden. Any tips on how to effectively weed my garden without disturbing my actual plants? I have kale and spinach growing and I do not want to ruin them, but I would like to get rid of the weeds asap!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have weeds that are starting to pop up despite my work in getting rid of them before I started my garden. Any tips on how to effectively weed my garden without disturbing my actual plants? I have kale and spinach growing and I do not want to ruin them, but I would like to get rid of the weeds asap!
How about a Hula Hoe or Stirrup Hoe

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t kow if this is the proper way to do it but I pull each weed up from the root. I am not a big fan of fertilizers because I feel it is toxic and gets on my produce so I rahter do it by hand. It takes a little big longer but I feel it is more organic. My garden isn’t that big so I don’t know if this would be the best option time wise for you.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I pull them all by hand. Some weeds go deep, like dandelions, and aren't easy to just pull out without them regrowing. They sell small tools for that, but I generally just keep pulling. My garden is designed to outcompete weeds once it's matured, so I can keep pulling knowing it won't be too much of an issue in the future.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I try to decide if they are annual or perennial. If annual just Hula Hoe or Stirrup Hoe like Chuck said. If perennial I try to get them out roots intact. Either way I'll try to get a mulch or cover down once I've taken care of the weeds to try and control - prevent them going forward.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
For the weeds, we pull it by hand. We never use herbicides because we were advised against it. Now, it is not easy to weed by hand and the best tool to use is an icepick. That's right, that stick-like implement used to crack ice, it is very good for weeding. Stick the icepick on the ground just beside the weed and use it like a lever in lifting up the week in consonance with the pulling. That takes care of the roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
yup you have to get all the root, some weeds/grass's will multiply if you do not get them all. best to then while the ground is moist it's so much easier to pull the whole thing up...
also it helps to pull them before they go to seed...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It all depends on what type of weeds you are trying to eliminate, broad leaf weeds or grasses. Some are annual and some are perennial. Each have different growth habits. For instance, dandelions and any type of lawn grass that happens to end up in your garden. Broad leaf weeds are fairly easy to control, grasses not so much. You can pull up grasses until you are exhausted and die of old age and never get rid of them whereas on broad leaf weeds just don't let them go to seed. If they can't go to seed then they can't reproduce. Grasses on the other hand spread by underground roots and some by rhizome and you can pull, yank, dig or plow to your hearts content and never get rid of them. On broad leaf weeds stopping their reproduction is the key. When they are young and tender just uprooting them will stop their reaching maturity and you can easily do that with a hand cultivator or my favorite a Hula Hoe.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Using the Hula Hoe works very well and pulling up by hand after loosing up some of the root works also, a lot of work but it works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you all! I was thinking about going out and doing it by hand as well, seems like the most feasible option for me. I was just wondering what different methods can be used, so again thank you so much for all of your feedback!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
flamethrower.jpg

It melts the nose off plastic gnomes, but, what the hey?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My weed bugaboo is creeping charlie... Pulling it by hand just seperates the roots and makes it come back even stronger. But I hesitate to use herbicides, and find weeding rather relaxing so by hand it is.

Weed barrier cloth and heavy mulching will seriously retard weed growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Creeping Charlie is truly the worst. It's the only weed that I can't easily keep under control.

Yeah seriously that (its everywhere here) and canadian thistle are just horrid. Because of the incredibly deep root systems weeding by hand actually encourages it to grow back bigger and badder.

Ask a Question