Weeds In Your Garden

Reaction score
In our garden we cannot really avoided the growing of weeds and we have no choice but instead to remove them away. If it happened that you noticed in your garden that they are visible already what are you doing to stop the spread of weeds in your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We pull the weeds by hand. It is hard work but that's the only available way because herbicides are not common here and it might have a side effect on the other plants. When the weeds are overwhelming, we hire a hand to do the cleaning of the garden regularly. We pile up the pulled weeds in the compost bin to serve as cover in order to hasten the composting of the leftover vegetables.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Weeds.. what little monster they are. I agree, that pulling them out by hand works the best. Even to try and spray them I believe would expose my vegetable and I do not want any chemical on them.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I pull them by hand. I started my garden by leaving it as bare dirt the first year before I planted, so I got control of most weeds before my garden was established. Now that my garden is establishing itself, it's making it tough for weeds to compete. I still pull some weed seedlings in Spring, the ones that come in by seed the previous year, but those are few and far between and easy to pull.

My biggest problem is ground ivy, which is mixed in with our lawn and constantly creeps into the edges of the garden. I have to pull that every week during peak growing season to keep control of the border.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Because I do not want to use chemicals in my garden I pull the weeds by hand. It is hard work at times, the trick is to stay on top of it, the weeds can take over so quickly if it has been raining a lot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I pull mine by hand too, because I don't like using chemicals. I have a dog and a cat that like to play in our yard, so I just don't like the idea of using things out there that wouldn't be animal friendly! I find that generally speaking as long as I am pulling them out by the root I don't seem to have any repeat problems with them.

Reaction score
I remembered one time before when I was still at our house I decided to help our gardener in pulling the weeds in our garden because I am not doing anything at that time. And after we had finished my back was really painful and I realized that it is not that easy to pull the weeds in our garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to pull them out by hands! Weeds are everywhere in our yard, including the maple tree seed pods. I prefer not to use chemical to kill the weeds so I put in some elbow grease to do the clean up.

Yes, my back also hurt if I put in too much time weeding! I learned my lesson and only do one section at a time :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't stop the spread of weeds. They're plants too and they're cute, I don't want to get rid of them. Every little plant is very welcome here:)
There is at least one weed in every flower pot I have:D:cool:

Ask a Question