How to use 18-3-10 fertilizer

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I got a hold of a lot of 18-3-10 granule slow release fertilizer. I read the label and it said it is good for cedars and acidophilic plants. I really only do vegetable gardening—things that i can eat. Is there a way i can use the fertilizer for vegetable gardening? How and when to apply?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well yes and no. On the surface the numbers are reasonable for my area. Available Phosphorous (not total) is highly tied to how it is dissolved in the soils' solution, and that is related to acidity or pH. Also, phosphorous is not particularly mobile and tends to build up in soil. Again no idea what your condition might be and further there is an indication of sulfur content in your fertilizer as you indicate it is meant for acid lover plants like cedar. Also, the EC electrical conductivity of your soil is not known. This is an underhanded measurement of salt content and your fertilizer contains what amounts to salts of the various nutrients. While salt is obviously a necessary nutrient for life you know what it tastes like when there is too much, and what a mouthful would do to your tongue so imagine a plant root as your tongue should existing EC measurement of the soil prove already high as you add even more. So some baseline would best be understood before proceeding into the chemical blue yonder without a compass so to speak.

Ask a Question