Should I mix fertilizer with soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
When I fertilize my fruit trees, should I mix the fertilizer with soil or it's okay to just spread fertilizer on top of the soil then water it in well?

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi Andy,
Both,
(A) by mixing the fertilizer into the soil your doing what nature is doing with all the goodness already in the soil,
When it rains the fertilizer is fed down to the roots be it lower roots or as some plants have roots along the stems "even when the stems are slightly under ground, "such as tomatoes", this is why i myself when planting my toms on to a larger pot i plant all the way down until just under the main leavesn ,the roots grow wider /stronger and the fruit is also better formed,

(B) By watering in the feed/fertilizer and the likes of lime, Your getting the fertilizer to the root system quicker as a food.

So if you want a slower feed, just mix in, For a faster feed liquid feed is quicker.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I fertilize my fruit trees, should I mix the fertilizer with soil or it's okay to just spread fertilizer on top of the soil then water it in well?
Do you mean, dig up the soil around the tree to mix in fertilizer? If so, then NO. There are many many tiny feeder roots just under the surface of the soil. Just spread and water it in.

Ask a Question