Fertilizer for Tomato & Pepper plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently transplanted tomato plants snd soon will be adding my bell pepper plants. Are there any suggested fertilizers I should add to the soil at this time? I’ve produced adequate tomatoes and peppers in the past but never added fertilizer, which I believe has been my downfall. I’m a novice at growing vegetables, so include any helpful information please.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The plants grow fast and rather than nitrogen things like calcium really help without causing too much trouble. Its dependant of course, and nobody gets that soil test until after asking this hallmark question.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plants grow fast and rather than nitrogen things like calcium really help without causing too much trouble. Its dependant of course, and nobody gets that soil test until after asking this hallmark question.
What’s the most effective way to add calcium? Is it good both for pepper and tomatoes? Should I be adding the calcium now or later?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Tomato tone or other organic fertilizer should be fine, as it takes a while for small plants to grow and during that time the fertilizer is breaking down. Just itch it into the soil around the plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tomato tone or other organic fertilizer should be fine, as it takes a while for small plants to grow and during that time the fertilizer is breaking down. Just itch it into the soil around the plant.
Thank you. So am I to understand, now is the time to add? Will a second application be required in weeks or months or will thus likely continue to feed the plant for the whole summer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would add now and more when it begins flowering and really fruiting.. Tomato tone is a low N fertilizer so it does not cause much of a rush, but its good to have there as the season ages along.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, here Tomorite is heavily recommended. Seaweed extracts liquid feeds are also suggested. You could even cut up banana skin and soak them for 3 weeks. Liquid feeds are easier for the uptake. Do water and feed (weak feed) regularly or the Toms skin will split.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, here Tomorite is heavily recommended. Seaweed extracts liquid feeds are also suggested. You could even cut up banana skin and soak them for 3 weeks. Liquid feeds are easier for the uptake. Do water and feed (weak feed) regularly or the Toms skin will split.
Do Epsom salts offer any help to tomatoes and peppers? If so, when should they be applied and how much?

Ask a Question