when to add additional fertilizer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all
just a quick question about fertilizer( growing in large 70 litre pots)
so i have amended my soil with horse manure(pelettes) to try something new this year. i will be growing hokkaido pumpkin,courgette,tomato and pepper the real question is do i need to add additional fertilizer though out the growing season and if so when do i need to start with the additional fertilizer
thanks in advance
Martin

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
hey all
just a quick question about fertilizer( growing in large 70 litre pots)
so i have amended my soil with horse manure(pelettes) to try something new this year. i will be growing hokkaido pumpkin,courgette,tomato and pepper the real question is do i need to add additional fertilizer though out the growing season and if so when do i need to start with the additional fertilizer
thanks in advance
Martin
If all you used was horse pellets then yes, you will have to add more during the growing season to maintain the rate of growth in the plants. Horse manure is fairly low in NPK at 0.7 , .30 and .60. Chicken manure is 1.1 , .80 and .50. It is also very slow release meaning nutritional values are less but last longer as time passes. I would add additional pellets at or slightly before fruit set and if you have a heavy fruit set add more as the fruit progresses to maintain foliage growth, about every month.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If all you used was horse pellets then yes, you will have to add more during the growing season to maintain the rate of growth in the plants. Horse manure is fairly low in NPK at 0.7 , .30 and .60. Chicken manure is 1.1 , .80 and .50. It is also very slow release meaning nutritional values are less but last longer as time passes. I would add additional pellets at or slightly before fruit set and if you have a heavy fruit set add more as the fruit progresses to maintain foliage growth, about every month.
thanks for the replay
i put some horn shavings/chippings in as well not sure if that the right name for it i only started gardening since im in germany and don't know some of the english names for stuff :rolleyes: lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
thanks for the replay
i put some horn shavings/chippings in as well not sure if that the right name for it i only started gardening since im in germany and don't know some of the english names for stuff :rolleyes: lol
I think you are referring to Hoof and Horn. It has a very high N content but no P or K. IIRC it is 13% and also slow release. This being the case I would only add pellets at fruit set and not add anything later. But always watch your plants. If at sometime in the future your plants start to look different please send pictures.

Ask a Question