Just to add that country home feel to growing your herbs

• Thread starter Peace perfect peace
  • Start date
P

Peace perfect peace

Greetings herb growers,
I like nothing better than just being near the kitchen and being able to pick and smell our herb's the easy way,
Here's a little tip i use and may be of help to you,

You'll see at car boot sales (trunk sales) any used goods sales the old metal kitchen colander's 'sieves' (as used for rinsing veg etc)
these make ideal hanging basket's for cherry toms, or mint and most herbs,

They already have holes in them and handles so its a case of a couple of chains and a hook to hang the basket,

Ive lined mine with a piece of black platic compost bag liner and put holes in it to allow the water to flow through but keep the compost in.

It's a very handy way to grow your herbs/cherry toms/ mint etc and ive found its a talking point when visitors arrive
And its very cheap and last a life time.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It is actually very easy....and very commonly done around here. The cherry tomato variety is best suited for hanging baskets in my experience and upside down plantings.
hanging basket tomato.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I tried putting a cherry tomato in one of those Topsy Turvy planters, the plant tried to turn and grow upright the way they should. How did your plants continue to grow downwards? What varietyof cherry did you use?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The key is picking a variety suited to that container.

The "Tumbling Tom" is a good one and "Cherry Cascade" another. Personally I'd rather grow them the old fashioned way, but for limited space and/or novelty the hanging basket in full sun works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ah, I see. Well, for the Topsy Turvy inventors information, they did not state that certain varieties would be better suited for their product. What is a Tumbling Tom tomato like? Is it a hybrid? Dwarf? I'm curious! :)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Everything you ever wanted to know about Tumbling Tom:

and Cherry Cascade:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ah, Tumbling Tom is a Bonnie plant
Bonnie plants are really pushed around here. They are expensive, but I have purchased some over the years. I don't recall seeing a Tumbling Tom in their stuff this year, but I'll have to look again! Thanks!

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi All,
Now Tomatonut, if you only use /buy and try what the makers want you to try, then you go ahead and stay on that road,

But if your interested in the old country ways of doing things "All tried and tested over many many years by todays gardeners and those who have passed this way and left their experience behind for those who are interested in what and how they did things to continue to use.

Now the colander method is well used by myself for all herbs of a certain size and as i said tomato, (cherry being the one variety i use this method for,) ive two colanders on the go right now One with mint and one with cherry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I grow mostly heirlooms. From seed, in my dinky backyard greenhouse. I own many varieties, and always love looking for more! . I only purchase Bonnie plants if they have a variety that interests me. My heirloom Ketchup tomato came from Bonnie. I saved the seeds, and now grow it myself. Growing tomatoes is my passion!

Ask a Question