How to root a blackberry bush stem?

Reaction score
We have a LOT of wiled black berry bushes near are driveway. What I'm wondering is: how do you make a hull new bush from a stem?

Reaction score
It is that easy! I have had to give away several bushes that all started from a one gallon plant several years ago. This is without even trying, they do it on their own.

Jed

Reaction score
We have a LOT of wiled black berry bushes near are driveway. What I'm wondering is: how do you make a hull new bush from a stem?

Blackberries are a pest weed where I live and the consensus is to grub them out as they choke waterways and good agricultural land. They grow easily from any small broken off young wood and the seed from the fruit can sprout readily.
My view is, you have them growing wild then why not harvest those and plant out other canes such as raspberries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
We have wild blackberries here also, and with all the rain, they are really filling out with berries this year. I want to transplant some also, and the reason for that is the weather uncertainty. Last year when we moved here, it had been so hot and dry that the berries started to ripen, and then all just dried up before they got ready to be picked, so we only gathered a few of them.
This year, there should be plenty, but if we plant some closer to the house, then when it is a dry year like last year, we can water them if necessary, and have a good crop regardless of the rain, or lack of it.

Reaction score
I love blackberries and they are wicked expensive in the stores but right now I can only have a container garden. Would it be possible to grow a blackberry bush in a container? Any other kind of berry that may be better suited for a container?

Jed

Reaction score
I love blackberries and they are wicked expensive in the stores but right now I can only have a container garden. Would it be possible to grow a blackberry bush in a container? Any other kind of berry that may be better suited for a container?

Blackberry vines are incredibly easy to grow. Though I have never seen or heard of people growing them in pots I'll bet my bottom dollar you would have no trouble doing so. You would probably need to espalier them as they do grow fast and tangle. Tell us how you get on.
Here is a How to plant blackberries video I just googled. Interesting. You can buy thorn-less varieties.

Ask a Question