How to keep my lawn from turning brown in the summer heat?

Reaction score
Hey fellow gardeners. I have a question about my lawn. How do I prevent random brown spots within my lawn. I'm assuming that this is a result of the summer heat but I'm not completely sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Are you watering it while it is in full sun. If the sun is out and you water your grass, you risk the sun burning your grass. Water early in the morning or at night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Where abouts in the world are you? And do you have a female dog?

Reaction score
Also be careful with when you mow your lawn. If you are going to have a hot and dry stretch of weather, don't mow it right before the heat arrives. You can mow it a couple days before, but not the day before. The shorter the grass is in the heat, the more likely it is to dry out. Also do not mow it during a heat spell as it will burn it and you will end up with dry spots if not the whole lawn.

If it is heat related, you really have to be careful when you mow and when you water as stated above.

Reaction score
Are you watering it while it is in full sun. If the sun is out and you water your grass, you risk the sun burning your grass. Water early in the morning or at night.

Hmmm That is something to consider, I pretty much water my grass in the afternoon when I get home from work. I should try early in the morning before I leave.

Reaction score
Also be careful with when you mow your lawn. If you are going to have a hot and dry stretch of weather, don't mow it right before the heat arrives. You can mow it a couple days before, but not the day before. The shorter the grass is in the heat, the more likely it is to dry out. Also do not mow it during a heat spell as it will burn it and you will end up with dry spots if not the whole lawn.

If it is heat related, you really have to be careful when you mow and when you water as stated above.

This does make sense! We don't take into consideration the heat when we mow our lawn so I will be mindful of this in the future! I can't have the sun burning out my lawn LOL

Reaction score

I hadn't thought about that. I'm responsible for cutting the grass around my apartment and the grass has been looking really crunchy lately because of the brutal summer heat. I guess I'll have to be more mindful of when I mow it because I don't want my landlord to think I'm killing the lawn.

Reaction score
Like the first person answered, ensure you are watering the lawn early morning or late evening. You may try extra watering the brown spots.

Reaction score
If you live in a place where heat is a problem, water your lawn when the sun is not out. For example, the morning and the evening are perfect times to water your lawn as well as cut the lawn. Make sure you only mow the grass after a heat wave has passed or you could risk harming your lawn.

Reaction score
If you live in a place where heat is a problem, water your lawn when the sun is not out. For example, the morning and the evening are perfect times to water your lawn as well as cut the lawn. Make sure you only mow the grass after a heat wave has passed or you could risk harming your lawn.

I live in Fl, and everything that you wrote and suggested is so true. Here if not careful, a lawn can turn brown in a matter of a couple of days.
Always, water early dawn.
Never cut grass when is super hot.
Never in the middle of the day.
Great tips.

Reaction score
That usually happens with me too, but what I try to do is always water my lawn early in the morning, before the Sun comes up. Always isn't really the right word as I water my lawn about 4 times a week. This way, the sun doesn't end up evaporating the water that you spray, and it gives your grass time to soak it up before then sun comes up.

Reaction score
Male dogs can be a problem too if they don't do the vertical pee. All the tips that people have given you are excellent and if you follow them you should be okay.

Ask a Question