Lawn Upkeep

Reaction score
Country
United States
How often do you mow the grass? I personally like a fuller lawn so I don’t do it as often.

Also do you use a weed wacker around the fences?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My parents have a big lawn. We mow it maybe twice a year, haha;) I love when the grass looks wild and messy:D Our dog loves it too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our lawn is mowed every few weekends and even sometimes during the week, once we have the mower out. We also use a wacker around the hedges and fencing to keep them looking as pristine as possible. For fuller looking lawns what we do is to add fertilizer that we just toss over the grass and keep it watered a few days of the week. That way we keep the green longer and even when it gets mowed it doesn't look thinned out with brown patches. We also mow it that often because it tends to grow tufts and lumps throughout and that doesn't look good at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
From what I remember, our lawn in the backyard grows fast during the rainy season and slows down in summer. Maybe the mowing is once a month during summer and every 2 months in the rainy season. Our housemaid is the one in charge of that so I don't know much about the frequency of mowing. It's a small backyard lawn anyway and one person can do it in less than an hour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
At this time of year we don't have to mow it much if at all - it just doesn't grow in the winter months! In the spring/summer though, I find we're having to mow around every week to every other week. It grows like crazy around that time! It can be a pain, but I do love the look and neatness of freshly mowed grass!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If we have lots of rain I mow twice a week because the clover will grow fast and it will not flower when it get to tall, once we hit the hot dry part of summer I mow every two weeks the clover slows down on growing. I have flowers beds along my fence so I only trim the outer edge of the lawn and around the raised beds.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I love having a lush green yard with shrubs, beautiful flowers, and trees. This takes a lot of work to keep it looking great. I don’t have energy and time to spend in maintaining the yard. That's why I go for lawn care service. They provide hassle-free yard maintenance by either routine lawn upkeep or one-time project. The results are beautiful. They can help in lawn maintenance service that include yard clean up, trimming and mowing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can just imagine how much work 3.5 acres requires @majorcatfish. That's a lot of land so I understand how attention has to be split up to areas that need it most. I don't think all of that is lawn:cautious:. I see some nice fruit trees taking up some of that space right there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have lawn care guy coming every two weeks, and he did the trimming and edging. I like to keep the grass short to avoid having fleas and ticks for our dog when he is out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I can just imagine how much work 3.5 acres requires @majorcatfish. That's a lot of land so I understand how attention has to be split up to areas that need it most. I don't think all of that is lawn:cautious:. I see some nice fruit trees taking up some of that space right there.

if you really want to get technical we have 4 acres 1/2 acre that is our easement to the property, there is only 2 houses on the road so we split the up keep. the other 1/2 acre are the springs which splits our property into a u shape. when we purchased the property i did plant a apple,pear,peach,plum,kiwi orchard, but between diseases,rodents,pests and poor planning on my part the only ones that survived are a pippin and the kiwis. out front were the gardens are now that use to grapes,blackberries and raspberries.. spent more time mowing around all of that than i do now.. but i do miss walking out there and picking something sweet off a tree or vine..

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well that did sound like a grand plan right there @majorcatfish . It's a pity the diseases rodents and pest got to it and took out all those great choices for an orchard. I'd imagine though that will all that space you guys would need some help to round and make sure everything remained in tip-top condition, so don't blame yourself too much. Somewhere in your head is another idea just waiting to spring out. The front yard also sounds pretty good. Grapes and raspberries that you can just pick from your land and enjoy without going to a farmer market or supermarket. I still say that's the real way to go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The grass grows very fast here in the summer, so we have to mow once a week. Sometimes it could really stand to be mowed twice a week, but it seems to get dry if I do that. I could probably go longer without mowing if I cut it shorter, but if I cut it short it dry's out too much.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Electric lawn mowers are making work easier nowadays. I have a solar powered one with a solar panel on top. It works automatically as long as the sun is shining. It needs little attention since I don't have to push it around. I only need to collect the cut grass and take it to the garden.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Electric lawn mowers are making work easier nowadays. I have a solar powered one with a solar panel on top. It works automatically as long as the sun is shining. It needs little attention since I don't have to push it around. I only need to collect the cut grass and take it to the garden.
you have a robot mower .........That's different although I'd miss not getting the exercise cutting the grass gives me :) I'm a Petrol head when it comes to mowing & have both composting & Posh stripping mowers that weighs a lot

Ask a Question