How to keep cut astilbe?

Reaction score
Country
Romania
I would like to keep astilbe stems longer but I don't know how much water they need. Any special temperature or other conditions? Your advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I'm not familiar with Astilbe, so that's a good reason to look them up, especially as I love cut flowers. No to much beyond the standard... cut and place in fresh water. I did find below which does make a suggestion as to how to prolong the cut life. I also found a link that is very specific to it in it's cut flower state.

A pretty and interesting flower, I don't think I every run across any. They seem durable with a some what unique flower and are happy in shade.

Harvest mature flower stocks in mid-summer with sharp pruning shears for your fresh arrangements. Make a slanted cut on the stem to maximize the surface the cut exposes. This allows the stem to transport more water to its blossoms. The top half of the flowers should have swollen buds showing color to ensure the longest life possible while displayed indoors.

http://www.calyxflowers.com/floral-library/content/astilbe.aspx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Have several Astilbes in my gardens, some are about 20 years old. I do not cut them at all. I let nature do the watering of my gardens. If there is a dry spell, then will do a general watering over all. In the winter the Astilbes are left alone, never cut down, they are there for winter interest as their left over bloom stocks just stand tall in the snow. And I don't fuss with them at all.

Ask a Question