how to grow babycorn in container

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
31ºc 66% humudity hot climate rains when it gets more hot
Country
India
Helloo all please can anyone guide me how to grow baby corn in container
When it is supposse to be harvested
i wanted to know is it suppose to be hand pollinated and how is the process of growing and harvesting
If anyone has grown

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Helloo all please can anyone guide me how to grow baby corn in container
When it is supposse to be harvested
i wanted to know is it suppose to be hand pollinated and how is the process of growing and harvesting
If anyone has grown
All baby corn is, is immature sweet or field corn. Instead of waiting until the corn tassels drop pollen on the silk to pollinate the ear and allow the kernels to mature, you pick the ear 3 or 4 days after the silk emerges. Corn is wind pollinated/self pollinated but to grow baby corn you do not want it to be pollinated so you pick it before the tassels can drop its pollen. To grow it in a container just get a large enough container to let you plant as many seeds as you can about 8 inches apart. Most corn will only produce 2 ears per plant but there is a variety called Chinese Baby Corn that will produce more ears per plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
31ºc 66% humudity hot climate rains when it gets more hot
Country
India
Hey thanks i have 15 liters container but its a rectangular shape will that work ??
How and when would i come to know that the tassels will drop the pollen ??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey thanks i have 15 liters container but its a rectangular shape will that work ??
How and when would i come to know that the tassels will drop the pollen ??
It doesn't matter what shape the container is but it should be about 12" deep. Usually the ears will start showing silk when the tassels are just forming. By the time the tassels are mature you will have already pulled the ears. You can tell by observing when tassels are dropping pollen. They will be fully open and when you shake them the particles will come loose. It is hard to explain but by observing you will be able make sense of it all.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Don't even contemplate growing corn in a container. There is no such thing as baby corn for a starter. Those little cobs are simply immature normal corn, and is seldom grown.

Ask a Question