How to Grow Aton German Basil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My friend has a box window in her kitchen that she has never had success growing anything in. It receives full sun for most of the day and gets pretty hot. I want to attempt to grow Aton German Basil in there but I need some advice to see how I can do it.

How often and how much water does it need?

Do I need something to shade it a bit or is full sun OK?

Should I just apply water or should I also spritz the leaves? If so how often?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.... I know NOTHING about basil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I find Basil the easiest of all herbs to grow and here is how I do it. It may not be the correct way but it works. I get my container, whether it be a small one or a 5 gallon bucket. I fill it full of good potting soil 50/50 with good compost and completely saturate it and level it out. Then I copiously sprinkle seeds on top. Then I sprinkle just enough, maybe 1/16"-1/8" of the soil to just cover the soil. I then cover the container with Saran Wrap, making a little greenhouse. As soon as the seeds sprout and the little seed leaves are fully open I remove the Saran Wrap. I always water from the bottom up. While the plants are still very small do not let the top 1/2" of soil dry out. When they are established and have 2 or 3 sets of true leaves use your finger to see when to water. Just don't let them completely dry. Thin as needed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not heard of heard of Aton German Basil before, and would love to see what it looks like once you had them growing. I grow Thai basil and sweet basil in a container every summer and they are doing well in the sun. I love the smell of basil.

Reaction score
I want to attempt to grow Aton German Basil

Are you sure you have the right name :confused:

I only ask because - although I grow many varieties of Basil and am also very familiar with the semi-compact, rapidly growing, large shiny leaved Aton cultivar of Genovese Basil - commonly known as Aton Genovese Basil - mainly because its very popular where I live - due to its excellent slightly spicy tangy flavor being an excellent choice for tomato and garlic flavored dishes - as well as being the best Basil for making pesto sauce with - I've never heard of Aton German Basil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The seeds came inside of a pack of seeds I bought as a bonus. It is just a white package and it says 65150 Basil Aton Origin Germany Lot 3 on it. So I assumed that was the name of them. I am not sure.

Ask a Question