How to Cheaply Fill Large Containers for Growing Squash and Beans?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Broad beans and butter beans are something else, you eat the actual beans of both of those. Runner beans you eat the green pod before the bean matures. There are various ones, 'Scarlet Emperor' is probably the best known with purple seeds (Which taste foul) and scarlet flowers, I have also grown one called 'St George' which has paled coloured seeds and red and white flowers, and others have white flowers. They are climbers reaching six or eight feet. They grow well in England, so probably too hot and dry there :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, therein lies the problem here. It always gets too hot too fast here for them to set of any consequence. I may try some next year in a warmed HK container hoping to get a few days advantage on maturing them before the super heat hits.
Now that is a thought. Plant them in their growing container indoors. Your HK containers are light enough in weight to move easily. I think I will try this come spring.

Ask a Question