How to Cheaply Fill Large Containers for Growing Squash and Beans?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was going to add runner beans, they appreciate lots of organic and clay, I think it is the continuous moisture. Then I wondered if they would suit the climate in Idaho? And remembered they are not called that in American English, I think it is lima bean.
Lima beans and broad beans are different. Similar but not the same. Broad beans in the US are called Fava beans. Lima beans in the UK are called Butter beans.

Ad

Advertisements

Meadowlark

Gardner, Angler, Adjunct Professor, and Rancher
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Lima beans and broad beans are different. Similar but not the same. Broad beans in the US are called Fava beans. Lima beans in the UK are called Butter beans.
Chuck, have you had much success with growing Limas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, have you had much success with growing Limas?
Yes, I have had fairly good success with them. Not like with green beans, but good enough to plant again. And we just don't want to eat them all that often but they sure are good as lima bean soup on a cold winter day with homemade cornbread.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lima beans take longer than green beans and they will set pods at higher temperatures. But if the temperatures get too high they will fail to set. And if soil temperatures are too low germination and growth are greatly affected. And that is the problem with limas. It is a matter of luck if it will get too hot too soon for a good pod set and bean growth. And if one plants seeds at the same time as green beans cooler soil temperatures greatly affect limas. Maturing time for lima's is about 20-30 days longer than green beans and this time difference is what makes it iffy. It would probably make a big difference if one were to start seeds indoors earlier and I have heard (but not tried) that planting lima beans in potting cells is fairly difficult to do as it is easy to damage the roots at transplanting.

Meadowlark

Gardner, Angler, Adjunct Professor, and Rancher
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Lima beans take longer than green beans and they will set pods at higher temperatures. But if the temperatures get too high they will fail to set.
Yes, therein lies the problem here. It always gets too hot too fast here for them to set of any consequence. I may try some next year in a warmed HK container hoping to get a few days advantage on maturing them before the super heat hits.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Broad beans and butter beans are something else, you eat the actual beans of both of those. Runner beans you eat the green pod before the bean matures. There are various ones, 'Scarlet Emperor' is probably the best known with purple seeds (Which taste foul) and scarlet flowers, I have also grown one called 'St George' which has paled coloured seeds and red and white flowers, and others have white flowers. They are climbers reaching six or eight feet. They grow well in England, so probably too hot and dry there :)

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, therein lies the problem here. It always gets too hot too fast here for them to set of any consequence. I may try some next year in a warmed HK container hoping to get a few days advantage on maturing them before the super heat hits.
Now that is a thought. Plant them in their growing container indoors. Your HK containers are light enough in weight to move easily. I think I will try this come spring.

Ask a Question