How often does your family go on vacation?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
You sound like a sweet husband, Bees :)

We just came back home from Nashville (it was a working vacation) and I'm a little sad because my house sitter took really good care of my pets but not so much of my plants. I lost more than half of my squash plants and other stuff :cry:

Reaction score
For the last couple of years we have been saving our money to pay off bills and get a house and I feel bad that we have not been able to have a family vacation. Is it normal to go a year or 2 without any real family trips. I guess I am just concerned about the memory making part that I feel my kids are missing out on...
We try to go on a family vacation once a year. It's something we save for and hope it can happen as planned. Things come up on occasion and that's not always possible. We live in Florida so there are many opportunities for mini vacations with the kids which we do a lot. They love it and just getting away for a day or two is fun and relaxing. Helps us recuperate from our crazy weeks.
Danyel :)

Reaction score
We can't afford vacations at this time but Miami has natural beautiful features like beaches and national parks, so we at least go out on afternoon trips sometimes.
We moved into our apartment 8 months ago and all my funds went towards deposits and our beds, and rent, and survival so we don't have spare funds right now but I'm going to start saving up so that we can do something cool next summer.

Reaction score
We can't afford vacations at this time but Miami has natural beautiful features like beaches and national parks, so we at least go out on afternoon trips sometimes.
We moved into our apartment 8 months ago and all my funds went towards deposits and our beds, and rent, and survival so we don't have spare funds right now but I'm going to start saving up so that we can do something cool next summer.
I understand being in that situation all too well. Over the last few years we have saved for nearly every vacation we have gone on. That's the only way we can afford it. We do like weekend or "mini vacations" because their inexpensive and usually within driving distance from our home. Were lucky to live near Orlando where there is always tons to do. :)
Danyel :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Not always. Maybe once or twice a year. My siblings and I are very busy at work, so we can't really take time offs at the same time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
About ten or eleven per year, for about two weeks at a time, to our static caravan on the shore of Luce Bay in SW Scotland.
My wife is disabled and chronically sick, and I'm her carer.
Since I have no formal employment, we take advantage of this by having as much of the summer as we can, and some of the spring autumn and winter too.
If all goes well, we'll be going on Friday.

Reaction score
As a family we take vacations probably once or twice a year. We're just normal middle class folks so we can't afford to splurge all the time. We'll take a trip to the beach or to the mountains for the weekend, or sometimes a week. Just depends on the year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
My husband and I have vacationed in the Caribbean; I've been in Europe and spent a year in Spain; we have traveled in several of the states here in the US; and now we just take day trips here in Texas. We are fortunate in that we can visit Dallas, Ft. Worth, San Antonio, and other spots within an easy drive.
We are content mostly to stay here on our little farm and watch the world go by rather than visiting it!

Reaction score
Right now my family doesn't go on vacation but later on we will. In the past I used to go to Cape Cod every year for vacation and it was the most fun along with relaxing. Being near the ocean is so peaceful and all my stress goes away when I listen to the waves. Now I have a new family and we will be going on a fun vacation probably next year if things go right financially. I would be happy just going on a day trip.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My parents always made a big deal of making sure they took my sister and I on vacation every summer. It wasn't always much and it was usually a road trip but it was always fun and i've seen some cool places that I will take my future family to one day.

Reaction score
Not very often at all, they are normally around the holiday times when we do take vacations.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
For the last couple of years we have been saving our money to pay off bills and get a house and I feel bad that we have not been able to have a family vacation. Is it normal to go a year or 2 without any real family trips. I guess I am just concerned about the memory making part that I feel my kids are missing out on...
We were going once a year but my husband had to work on those trips so it wasnt much of a holiday for all of us. With all the debt now it is hard to get away as a family and it is needed, really needed to be able to let go and unwind for just a few days. I remember my last holiday 2 years ago where we went up into the mountains and stayed there for four days. It was beautiful and it was something that we had never done before but it cost us so much that we won't be able to do it again for a few years.

Reaction score
Country
Congo
Hubby and I have a hard time with this because even though we can "afford" it, we always see a "better" way to spend the money (pay off car, pay down the mortgage, any other debts, save , etc). There has to be a way to balance! I can barely convince my frugal husband to take the family out to dinner, let alone on a week vacation!

Reaction score
Growing up we always went once a year, sometimes twice. It was either a roadtrip in the states or a tropical island (Jamaica 4x!). Those are some of my best memories. Nowadays, being grown up and money being scarce, it's lucky to happen every two years or so, and it's usually just an extended weekend roadtrip. Not that it's a bad thing, I just really miss being young!

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I have to get away this year and I will suprise the family and book us in somewhere, even if it is a campsite, I think it is needed. Some of the campsites are not expensive and you can buy the food you would have got at home anyway. The point is to escape from the norm for a few moments.

Ask a Question