How often do you re-pot your indoor plants?

Reaction score
How often do you re-pot your indoor plants? Every year? When they look dingy? When the soil loses it's benefits? I have a few indoor plants that I'm considering repotting, simply because it's been in it's soil for quite some time. I'm curious to see how often each of you feed your plan new soil? Seems like if they're doing well and the soil is still in good shape, the soil should be sufficient. What do you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I repot my roses once every two or three years. I don't see any reason to do it more often.
Last year, I repotted one of my plants two times in a row, but I had to do this, because I noticed some weird pests in the soil. I wanted to get rid of them.

Reaction score
I try to repot any plant in a pot once a year. Also allows me to inspect roots and overall health of plant.
How often do you re-pot your indoor plants? Every year? When they look dingy? When the soil loses it's benefits? I have a few indoor plants that I'm considering repotting, simply because it's been in it's soil for quite some time. I'm curious to see how often each of you feed your plan new soil? Seems like if they're doing well and the soil is still in good shape, the soil should be sufficient. What do you think?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I re-pot the plants once a year or if the plant looks under nourished, the leaves are turning yellow and staying limp after a good watering. I feel that the soil needs to be replenished and if the plant has grown a lot and needs more room it will be moved to a larger pot with new soil.

Reaction score
I did it every year back in the day. I still potted plant, but I haven't re-potted the ones I still have round in 3 years. I was planning to do so one year ago, but several things got in the way, my health hasn't been good at all either. But I will do it once I move and get several potted plants... at least once every two years, since I want to be realistic ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I also think that once a year is a safe bet. You have to give the plant a fresh set of nutrients every once in a while as eventually they will suck the soil clean and dry. I always get nervous about doing it though because I don't want to disturb my plant or shock it in any way.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I rarely re-pot my indoor plants. I did it once with my bamboo plant because the vase was too small and the roots seemed to take over the whole vase. It was a lot of work and a big mess. I only did it because my bamboo plant looked as if it was starting to die.
However, I typically try to think ahead and plant my indoor plants in a bigger vase to prevent me from having to replant them often. It's easier then having to deal with the headache.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The only plant that we repot is the welcome plant that we use for decoration in the living room. From my estimate, perhaps we repot it twice a year. As it grows, the pot becomes crowded so we need to repot it by dividing into 3 or 4 plants. In effect, the repotting is actually the multiplying of the welcome plant. The new plants can serve as gifts to those who want indoor plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I re-pot my plant once a year if I believe it needs a change or seeing the signs of distress! Other than that, I just add a bit of new soil on the top. I am afraid to disturb their growth.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I re pot my indoor flowers yearly or twice a year. It depends on whether I want new types of flowers to make my room look beautiful. I usually add fertiliser to maintain soil fertility. I do water them daily so that they cannot dry up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I repot about once a year, or more often if the plant has outgrown its container and I repot into a larger one. It's a good idea to give a plant some fresh soil, while retaining some of the old soil when repotting. Repotting gives you a chance to inspect the roots for any insects. I also like to add a bit of fresh soil on top after about six months to give the plant more nutrients.

If the plant is very large, repotting can be cumbersome, so it helps to have another person holding the plant while you attempt to center it in the container.

Reaction score
We had this kind of air purifying plant that is our indoor plant that we had in one corner of our living room, dining room and even in our toilet. It is the Snake plant and we chose this as our indoor plant because it is just easy to take care of this plant. If we notice the roots are already crowded in the pot as well if the plants had no more space for growing new plant then that is the only time we will do the repotting for the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
When some of you say you repot once a year. Are you saying you go out and buy pretty pottery pots (now larger) to hold the repoted plant, or you just only change the soil, or you cut the plant in half and repot that giving away the other half. Just thinking of all the new pots you'd acquire if repotting yearly.

Ask a Question