Container soil, how often to change?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It occurred to me yesterday that the soil in my containers had not been changed in about five years, apart from some minimal amending with compost. So I dumped most of them and started fresh with new soil (combination purchased potting soil, a little aged compost, and some good dirt from my yard.)

I figured it was pretty depleted, but is there a rule of thumb for container soil changing or amending?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I myself do not have that many container plantings, but the ones I do have I dump after the second year. By 'dump' I don't mean discard. What I do is empty the containers into my wheelbarrow. From there I mix in potting soil, compost, and some slow release fert. After it's all mixed in good, I refill the containers with that mix. Whatever is left over goes into the garden beds. The main reason for doing this is soil compaction.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For bedding displays I change the top half of the compost every year. Fertiliser levels, etc. are thus topped up and refreshed. Compost is then clean and pest free. Sensible I think to do this.:)
Beth, five years is a long time not to change the compost
For permanent planting it is different of course.......a john innes base, etc. and a replacement of top few cm's with a mulch is done every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, I really did let them go too long! I put most of the old soil on my asparagus bed. Hoping to have much happier flowering annuals this year. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I only change soil if I transplant to a larger container. With my extra large containers used for edibles I just try to rotate the same as you would for in-ground plantings. I may refresh soil by mixing in new material if the container is completely empty of plants, or just top dress with compost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks @ChanellG , really that's what I've been doing but decided after this many years a near-complete change wouldn't be a bad idea

Funny though, I found about 8,357 old walnut shells in my container soil, from the squirrels burying for winter.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Beth_B You sound like my dogmatic son. Are you sure it is exactly that figure? Haha! I've found peanuts everywhere and holes too. What annoyed me most if the newly planted outside canna got dug up to bury another peanut! :devil::eek:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think we also need to take into account how hungry some plants are.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Those are some big squirrels you have there in Dorset. o_O

I thought they were dropped by Swallows
1yikestkt.gif

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
ROFLOL! Sounds like my friend's yard - there are always peanut plants popping up mysteriously all over the place!

Your friend has an Elephant?
1yikestkt.gif

Ask a Question