How much light is required for plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have been curious about low light plants because we have so much shade around our house. I was using a light meter to understand different areas with a little more *ahem* illumination as to how plants might fare in the various shade areas.
IMG_20191203_131642_resize_68.jpg
IMG_20191203_130055_resize_84.jpg

In trying to read up on lighting, I am running across publications like this that are enlightening. It is one more dimension to understand before planting, but certainly at the change of season so too the light changes, and I want to understand the weaker winter sun as we near the winter solstice as well as what will be the solar intensity around the summer solstice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One thing I have learned about plants and light is basically that the size and shape of the leaves are an indicator of light requirements. Large flat leaves require less light than slender leaves. This is because of chlorophyll which uses the energy of sunlight to make sugars and nutrients out of the water and carbon dioxide. So, the less light that is available, larger leaves and more chlorophyll are required for growth. I know this explanation is overly simplified and many plants don't follow it exactly but one can more or less determine what will or won't grow in a particular area just by looking at the size and shape of the leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
When in doubt of thumb, most vegetables and blossoming plants need 12 to 16 hours of light for each day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It is more than " just one more dimension." It is absolutely critical to the production of veggies. Failure to take into account and properly accommodate the various light requirements of plants can profoundly affect every aspect of the garden production cycle.

Ask a Question