How much can you really grow? Sustainability.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Free ranging our chickens is an option, and I did it for a couple years, but coons, coyotes, Mink, and at one time the neighbors dog, devastate our flock. I had to make an enclosed run and until I buried wire 6” down and 12” out, the Coon were getting in. They even tore holes in the roof and door trying to get at them. I have to deliver everything to them, but that’s ok, it means I check on them pretty much every day. If it’s alfalfa I grow for cover, I’ll gladly share with them! They earn what they get! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Free ranging our chickens is an option, and I did it for a couple years, but coons, coyotes, Mink, and at one time the neighbors dog, devastate our flock. I had to make an enclosed run and until I buried wire 6” down and 12” out, the Coon were getting in. They even tore holes in the roof and door trying to get at them. I have to deliver everything to them, but that’s ok, it means I check on them pretty much every day. If it’s alfalfa I grow for cover, I’ll gladly share with them! They earn what they get! :)
[/QUOTE:
I know the feeling, including the neighbor dog(s). I bought an incubator and hatched about 40 broiler chicks. Allowed those to free run and I suspect there was the fattest litter of coyote pups in the county before they got all of those. Raccoons, those are easy to trap and send on their way to Raccoon heaven.

On the farm a couple of protective farm dogs seemed to always work for my dad, but a co-worker bought 100 baby chicks and about the age they feathered out his own dog got into the pen in the night and killed 90 of the 100. Maybe dog folks can answer the question, WHY , but the co-worker attributed it to jealousy. The dog wasn't the average general farm dog but a specialized breed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I actually don’t really blame the dog, it was a German Shorthair and they are great at what they do. I did, however, blame the neighbor for not training it and allowing the dog to run all over the neighborhood, which is also what they’re good at if not properly trained in obedience. Nuff about that. My coop is about 15” off the ground and the enclosure is 12’x20”x8’ high. It gives them plenty of cover in the summer and constant dry dirt for feather dust baths. I’ve got a couple branches propped up in the corner and it gives them some obstacles. I was looking at it the other day and think adding more of these things to give them more to do. I feel bad not allowing them to roam, but much worse when they get snatched. This bunch was a straight run bought this spring and ended up with all hens! They’re the nicest group I’ve ever had and some of them just fly up on my shoulder when I don’t pay attention to them.

Ask a Question