How many mulched leaves can a lawn take?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Leaves contain high levels of carbon and small amounts of nitrogen. The microbes that decompose leaves and other types of organic matter require nitrogen for their own metabolism and growth. As long as there is an adequate amount of nitrogen and If the carbon doesn't exceeds the proper portion of protein then adding leaves can be helpful. However if carbon exceeds the proper ratio it can do more damage and cause yellow spots in the yard during the rainy season.

That is why people should also mulch their grass and leave it rather then bag it and remove it. Grass is high in nitrogen so it works well with the fall leaves that are high in carbon.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't bag my grass. But, 90% of my leaves are removed.

I hate grass and do everything I possibly can to kill it in and around my garden every year from spring until fall. I don't know how anyone can have a bad lawn, I'm sure even nuclear fallout wouldn't kill it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I hate grass and do everything I possibly can to kill it in and around my garden every year from spring until fall. I don't know how anyone can have a bad lawn, I'm sure even nuclear fallout wouldn't kill it.
As you all know, we have 3 acre garden, some has to be grass, the front lawn, the back lawn. but we have lots of garden beds. I guess if I had a wee place I would have more beds than grass. My lawns look so lush right now, I am holding off cutting till next week as we are again going away on July 30 for 12 days.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
As you all know, we have 3 acre garden, some has to be grass, the front lawn, the back lawn. but we have lots of garden beds. I guess if I had a wee place I would have more beds than grass. My lawns look so lush right now, I am holding off cutting till next week as we are again going away on July 30 for 12 days.

d9468473a50c0dc389f234ca980f7e3a.jpg

Not my pic but I would take this yard over grass any day.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes, @pepper , seen that done in a few sunlit meadows about this county. My property is shaded.

I wasn't referring to your property in particular I was just saying in general. My front yard is all grass to keep the neighbors happy with their obsession with grass. Part of the backyard from the deck is all grass, then trees and grass after that. Then my garden area that is full sun, then after that it's my happy place where nature does whatever it wants, it's the part of my property I refer to as my paradise. I often think of selling this place and moving off grid where there is no by-laws saying I have to keep a well trimmed lawn. Then my entire property could be my paradise with no neighbors and no grass lol.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I often think of selling this place and moving off grid where there is no by-laws saying I have to keep a well trimmed lawn. Then my entire property could be my paradise with no neighbors and no grass lol.
Welcome to my World!

Country living...nearest neighbor is 1 mile away living on land I sold him. No restrictions. No Government interference.

Make your fortune and leave the city life behind. That's the way to live, IMO.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Welcome to my World!

Country living...nearest neighbor is 1 mile away living on land I sold him. No restrictions. No Government interference.

Make your fortune and leave the city life behind. That's the way to live, IMO.

That's my goal I think. When I moved here it wasn't very developed. But especially since covid there has been houses popping up everywhere. People selling their homes with large properties then whoever buys it up splits the properties into little sections and the make a fortune just from the land. The more houses that pop up the more the value goes up and the more people sell to cash in. Everything from houses, apartments, stores. It sucks lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I wasn't referring to your property in particular I was just saying in general. My front yard is all grass to keep the neighbors happy with their obsession with grass. Part of the backyard from the deck is all grass, then trees and grass after that. Then my garden area that is full sun, then after that it's my happy place where nature does whatever it wants, it's the part of my property I refer to as my paradise. I often think of selling this place and moving off grid where there is no by-laws saying I have to keep a well trimmed lawn. Then my entire property could be my paradise with no neighbors and no grass lol.
Well, if your younger than I, one day we will have to sell our property. No BY-Laws here. I shudder who will buy it. and only want a "real" gardener. but that won't be for another 20 years, I hope.

A fellow neighbor, has a awesome garden, she is 80 she is refusing to sell it to a non-gardener.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Well, if your younger than I, one day we will have to sell our property. No BY-Laws here. I shudder who will buy it. and only want a "real" gardener. but that won't be for another 20 years, I hope.

A fellow neighbor, has a awesome garden, she is 80 she is refusing to sell it to a non-gardener.

I'm in my 40's so time is ticking for me considering it takes decades to get a place just how you want it with trees and garden soil etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I often think of selling this place and moving off grid where there is no by-laws saying I have to keep a well trimmed lawn.

You don't have to be off the grid, just buy a house without an HOA. I keep my lawn nice because I like it, but I could do whatever I waned with it. My neighbor has essentially a junk yard in his back yard. But he also has a fence so no issues.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You don't have to be off the grid, just buy a house without an HOA. I keep my lawn nice because I like it, but I could do whatever I waned with it. My neighbor has essentially a junk yard in his back yard. But he also has a fence so no issues.

Don't worry, as the city expands and people start flocking to your area building stores, apartments and houses there will be by-laws made to keep you in order. What you are and are not allowed have in the yard or build, unless you pay a fortune for building permits. What kind of animals you can own, how high your grass can be before you cut it... Then you will have the neighbors who expect you to have the same color home as the rest of the block, hedge hight, tree hight.. when you can kiss your wife and when it's not appropriate 😂 Seriously give it 20 years or less.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I guess on the bright side though my property value went up probably 90% of what was paid for it. Actually more then that, it's worth almost 5 times more now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My town is about 400 years old. I'm pretty confident that in 20 more years, I'll still be able to grow my lawn any length I want, and paint my house any color I want.

Ask a Question