How many of you are doing from seed this season?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did any of yall buy any starter plants? Or ran all seeds from indoors or greenhouse this year. I got like 8 starter plants they survived a freeze. I am running a lot of seeds for most of my garden this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I never buy plants. Everything from seed. I went to the store the other day and walked through the garden section. ALL of the starter plants were 6$ each. That is ridiculous when 30 seeds costs 3$ and I can many more different varieties of seeds online.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My current inventory in ground:

5 different Tomatoes varieties...about 1/2 from seed and 1/2 from starter plants
12 different varieties of potatoes...neither seed nor plants
300 onion plants
California garlic...bulbs
jalapenos...saved seed
bell peppers...saved seeds
lemon drop squash...seeds
early golden squash...seeds
table king squash...seeds
butterstick squash...seeds
5 different varieties of cucumbers...seeds some saved some purchased
fava beans...seeds
sugar snap peas...seeds
pink eye cow peas...seeds
giant lima beans....seeds
pinto beans...saved seeds
bingo beans...saved seeds
peanuts...seeds
Missouri Bill beans...seeds
honey select corn...seeds
blue lake beans...seeds
lettuce...seeds
carrots...seeds
radishes...seeds
bok choy...seeds

Pending planting:
jicama...seeds
sunchokes...tubers like potatoes
sweet potatoes...slips
okra 3 varieties...some saved seeds; some purchased
two more corn plantings...seeds
Triple Crown watermelons...seeds
Cantaloupe...seeds

I also purchase about 10 pounds of alfalfa seed, 10 pounds of Sunn hemp seed, and 10 pounds of mixture of Elbon rye, clover, vetch, turnips, peas, radishes for cover crops annually.

Some I probably missed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since 2020 I've been starting my own plants and growing from seed. Not only that but I try to save my own seed from whatever I can so I know I will have seed next year. If I were to loose my tomatoes or something in a late freeze, I would buy some plants probably.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I do everything from seed (self saved where possible). Flowers and veg.

It's utter chaos already and will only get worse as I try to get everything potted up until after last frosts.

We have solar in our house this year. April and May have loads of sunshine here but are still cold. So for the first time I'm going to be putting some heating into my polytunnel which should help. Or at least, it would help if I hadn't double the number of seeds sown in anticipation! I have heated cables so plan to bury them in trays in sand and have a huge heated bench.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Everything from seed.
Garlic and onion from sets.
I get too ambitious each year so can’t afford to be buying that many plants lol
Plus I don’t trust most places are organic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I'm also trying everything from seed as usual. 120+ onions going nicely and celery is up. BUT I can't get my peppers to germinate at all. 12 days in the soil and I moved them to a 75 degree F box 4 days ago.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Just a comment regarding onions:

I buy onion plants rather than seed or sets. Plants produce an onion many times over what an onion set or a seeded onion will produce in my area.

The price for onion plants has definitely increased lately, but what hasn't. Dixondale for example is a major supplier of onion plants and they run about $.20 cents per plant for the super sweet 1015s. Generally, I get them cheaper than that at my local feed store. Plant in the fall and harvest late May here. Each plant generally produces a 1.5-to-2-pound onion .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Just a comment regarding onions:

I buy onion plants rather than seed or sets. Plants produce an onion many times over what an onion set or a seeded onion will produce in my area.

The price for onion plants has definitely increased lately, but what hasn't. Dixondale for example is a major supplier of onion plants and they run about $.20 cents per plant for the super sweet 1015s. Generally, I get them cheaper than that at my local feed store. Plant in the fall and harvest late May here. Each plant generally produces a 1.5-to-2-pound onion .
Yeah, onion plant costs have gone nuts here too.

I've had good luck with my onions, shallots, and leeks from seeds. I multi-sow 4 or 5 onions in a soil block in February to be planted out sometime in mid to late April. These are just standard Spanish yellow onions or Ruby red, I don't have the right soil for sweet onions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I use onion sets, but I also sow about 80 cells of multi-sow onions (and leeks). The idea being that I harvest the biggest from each cell all through the season until I'm only left with one big onion per 'block'. Interestingly, the past two years that I've been doing this the last onion from the multi sow blocks is as big as the onions grown from sets. You can't tell them apart. They aren't the same variety so it's not a direct comparison. But even so....

Ask a Question