How Many Different Types of Compost Do You Use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a (right on the border between two)
Country
United Kingdom
Was wondering what other users here use(d), because we have three types in our garden.

1. Whatever comes out of either of the compost bins (for what it's worth)
2. The Biochar (Wikpedia article link) as a seed and cutting compost; the brand I use is developed by a former head of the Soil Association, a charity here in England/UK.
3. Peat free general multipurpose compost (brand does not matter in this case, just has to be free of peat).

I don't know if I should be trying out woolen compost, but I recently invested in a heated mat with temperature control dial, and a heated propagator too. Mainly, I wanted to have more success with the chilis pepper this year, but my first big success with the "super-duper-fancy-smancy" heated mat has actually been with the melon seeds. Within 48hrs they were sprouting.

Also like to keep a bag of hay, a bag of sand and pebbles handy, to also add to pots when needed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Homemade compost from various starting materials, made in both cold compost piles and spread mulch.
I move it about sometimes, but more and more it is left to decompose in place.

I buy two kinds of potting soil. First a mostly organic-matter blend that nicely balances drainage and water retention. and secondly, a grittier, sandy blend for most succulents and other plants where drainage should be emphasized. Sometimes I blend the two mixes together.

I also sometimes get a bagged soil amendment product made of forest product fines mixed with some manure.

Besides that, I get free wood chips delivered once a year or so.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a compost pile of kitchen scraps, leaves, old plants etc in the back corner of the yard. I turn it when I get a chance. I will be spreading it on garden and planters soon and starting a new one. I do buy some bags of cattle/sheep manure when its on sale in the fall.
thumbnail (9).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been using Melcourt Industries Sylvagrow peat free compost for the last couple of years.
The one with added John Innes is my mainstay , its the best peat free I’ve tried , and I’ve tried a few !
Also my bin compost , enriched with local Alpaca poo as the activator !.

Ask a Question