How early do you get ready for the holidays?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with shopping too early is that you might find that something you bought 4 months ago doesn't work properly and has to go back...

My wife and I tend to swap lists of what we'd like, and then get some of it for each other.
That way, I don't mess up with her gift/s and we both know we'll want what we get.
Our budget for each other's present(s) is £100 ($160).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My favorite time to watch people shop is when the doors are opened on Black Friday when all of the "sales" begin. The sight of hundreds of human lemmings stampeding through the doors trampling each other underfoot just warms the cockles of my heart and really gets me in the mood for all of that holiday cheer. I really enjoy the fistfights over the last item on the shelves especially the overweight ladies wallowing around on the floor while other shoppers are oblivious to what is happening. I am also enthralled by all of the rudeness displayed while trying to find a parking spot. It is a lot like watching a Sprint Car Race. Going shopping at the last minute is risky business. If you are not trampled, assaulted, run over in the parking lot you have a better than even chance of having you pocket picked thus adding to the Holiday spirit. So all in all I guess it might be wiser to shop early or even after all of the above festivities have taken place

Reaction score
I love to gift shop all year round so when the holidays come I can be better focused on the holiday decorating and spending time with my family.
Its better to shop around all year long because gifts are cheaper then and you can save them for Christmas time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree, shopping early is much better. People go wild over black Friday sales and I don't understand it at all. I wish stores would stop opening up Thanksgiving night and giving into all of the madness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
most of my friends are in the "we do not need anything more area" So I just bake something for them. My husband and I also don't need anything. So shopping is a quick wink of time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm the super opposite. I get mine done just a few days before Christmas. I just have such a bad habit of procrastinating that I push it off until it's almost too late to do anything. I wouldn't suggest it though, it can hurt you a lot. Miss quite a few deals or accidentally skip over something in entirety because you couldn't get it so late in the season. I like your plan though! It sounds really well organized.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I no longer shop for Christmas gifts for people, I start my Christmas basket baking the last week of Nov. and have every thing done the week before Christmas, I find it relaxing and not putting up with people fighting over things in the stores.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I no longer shop for Christmas gifts for people, I start my Christmas basket baking the last week of Nov. and have every thing done the week before Christmas, I find it relaxing and not putting up with people fighting over things in the stores.
Christmas baskets can be great gifts, too! I think I'd personally love to get a bunch of baked goods in a basket for Christmas. It's a simple and easy way to give people something they are really likely to actually use(instead of possibly guessing what they really want).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
one thing different in the USA, is we have Thanksgiving a month before Christmas. Many countries it is only Christmas. . I for one don't even like thinking about Christmas until Thanksgiving is done.

Reaction score
Every Year when the "ber" month started already we are planning and preparing for the Holiday Season already. And as early as month of September we are listing already the names of those whom we will give simple gifts and presents for Christmas day and also we are listing the kind of festive foods that we will serve on our dining table for our Noche Buena every Christmas Eve..It is only once a year that is why in our family tradition we are really trying to do our best to make the whole family happy and give love during the holiday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
I do not have a job, hence, no money so a do not shop. When I had a job I really didn't care about material things like presents. I like something useful or eatable. I used to buy my family some things but I really do not like the walking and searching. I like the walking but down the river or sitting and drinking coffee with some good view. Anyway, I do not get ready for these things. They are not worthy of my time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
one thing different in the USA, is we have Thanksgiving a month before Christmas. Many countries it is only Christmas. . I for one don't even like thinking about Christmas until Thanksgiving is done.
I'm not sure if you were replying to the original poster, but they are also actually for the USA as well. Although I agree with you, I don't want to think about Christmas until Thanksgiving has come. Despite that, i know plenty of people who start jumping into Christmas literally the day after Halloween.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I'm not sure if you were replying to the original poster, but they are also actually for the USA as well. Although I agree with you, I don't want to think about Christmas until Thanksgiving has come. Despite that, i know plenty of people who start jumping into Christmas literally the day after Halloween.
there are folks with in this thread that are not from the USA.

Ask a Question