How early do you get ready for the holidays?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am a sick and twisted person, either that, or just really smart. I am going to start doing my Christmas shopping this next week when I get paid. I hate shopping at the stores later in the year when there is a crowd, and I find that I can get some better deals now instead of waiting until later. How about you all?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am a sick and twisted person, either that, or just really smart. I am going to start doing my Christmas shopping this next week when I get paid. I hate shopping at the stores later in the year when there is a crowd, and I find that I can get some better deals now instead of waiting until later. How about you all?
Bah, Humbug. The holidays were invented to seperate you from your money. Wait to spend you money until about the middle af January when everything is really on sale. The stores have to get rid of all that bargain priced stuff that was supposed to be a bargain before the holidays began but somehow couldn't unload;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great answer Chuck! I thought the reason things went on Sale in January/February was to seperate you from your income tax returns! Now that is when the retailers really get vicious!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great answer Chuck! I thought the reason things went on Sale in January/February was to seperate you from your income tax returns! Now that is when the retailers really get vicious!
One has to become cynical with todays world. The early income tax filers will start getting their returns back just in time for all of those "white" sales, inventory clearance sales, spring fling bonus sales etc starting about March. Then after those sales are over about 2 1/2 months later another bunch of sales will start with the object of fleecing the late filers with those 50% off sales that were 50% off last month. And then comes my favorite sale of all, The Going Out Of Business Sale in which the business never seems to go out of business. It's a vicious dog eat dog world out there or maybe I should say dog eat sheep world out there.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is never ending, the marketing to the consumer to get them to spend more money. I try to pick up things through out the year that I think will make nice gifts and have all of my shopping completed right after Thanksgiving.

I try to keep a deaf ear to all of the noise to purchase this purchase that and only purchase the things I really need to purchase to avoid over spending.

Reaction score
I buy my daughter's gifts from Amazon ,so I'm just going to order a couple of things at a time to spread out the cost over the next few months. I don't really have anyone else to shop for besides my daughter, since I don't live with my ex anymore.

Reaction score
Well, I don't really celebrate Christmas, but my in laws do... so far I have done most of my shopping already, because if I wait I might not find the best deals! or maybe I'll have to fight over the last item with a person, lol.

Reaction score
As I have gotten older my holiday gifts to those I buy for is cash,, in a money envelope. I do not care for the holiday crush in the stores. I used to decorate for all of the holidays when my kids were small, but now the only one I decorate for is Christmas and that is not done until sometime the first week in December and it all comes down New Years Day.

Reaction score
Holidays are just another day for me so i just do the things that i normally do, eat, drink and show my children lots of love.

Reaction score
Not very early at all. I normally just go to my family for holidays, they don't really come to me. Aside from doing my garden, and baking. I simply just work and come home. My home is normally the same year round. I like it a lot better that way.

Reaction score
It is never to early to start planning. That is how I am when it comes down to most things. I like to plan far in advance I really do not like waiting till the last minute for anything.

Reaction score
I plan for vacations like six months before. I get all the necessary info three months before. It's advisable to have alternatives just in case the plan doesn't work. I love watching game and I do have a passion for wildlife.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love to gift shop all year round so when the holidays come I can be better focused on the holiday decorating and spending time with my family.

Reaction score
I totally agree with your way of thinking! I think were the smart ones by starting early. The past few years I have started my holiday shopping in September and it was completed way before the holiday season even arrived! I love it!

I could actually enjoy the holidays without having to worry about all the shopping I still had left to do. :) It also allows me to take my time and not rush, I found such great deals that way too! I do most of my shopping online so I had plenty of time to look and then have things shipped to my house.:)

The holidays are about having fun and being with the ones you love anyway, not about all the craziness and chaos right?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I started shopping as early as September this year. Bought my boyfriend a feng shui bracelet, pillow and customized shirt. I also bought friendship bracelets, shirts and personalized bracelets for my friends and cousins and for my mom and aunt/uncle, I'm thinking of buying them customized mugs. I know it's too early but I don't like rush shopping , that way I can really organize what gifts I will give to each one. I think giving someone a personalized item is extra special and usually it needs time for them to make the designs, etc.

Ask a Question