How do you know for sure a tree is dead?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have run across a lot of trees in my life that look dead, yet I will see small branches still growing and budding. Obviously the tree isn't dead if is still producing these small offshoots. What is this all about? Is it the last ditch effort for the tree to survive? The rest of the trees usually don't develop leaves, so how is it able to grow the small ones? Also, there is no way the small branches are producing enough leaves for photosynthesis, so how does it live at all?

Reaction score
The tell tale signs that a tree is in tree heaven are :
  • no leaves
  • dry brittle branches
  • looks like what a zombie would look like if it were a tree
Trust me I have one in my backyard. I'll get rid of it next spring.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
I usually look at the leaves and if there is none or very little this is a sign. Autumn usually have leaves falling off trees and they are still very much alive so this cannot be the only determining factor. The bark is another area that can be used to determine this.If the Bark becoming brittle or falling off.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I usually look at the bark of the tree to determine if the tree is dead. The lack of leaves when everything else is budding is also a clue. If you have a tree in your yard that is still producing leaves you may want to cut the tree back to where the leaves have started to grow to help force the tree to produce more leaves.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If it burns, it's dead :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Trees die slowly. The tree may very likely be one its way out but not yet completely dead. Break off a small thin limb and break it in half , if it is dry and easily snaps that is a good sign it is dead. Also look inside the limb if alive it should be moist and green. The under bark of a live tree should also be green and moist. If its brown and dry the tree is dead or dying.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I usually check if the tree does not grow leaves for a long time and other parts of it wither. If the ones you come across with still show signs of life, it's best to propagate it to start a new life from a dying one. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can justify by the help of these points.
  1. Dead wood looks dry and lifeless and breaks very easily.
  2. Cracks are deep splits through the bark, and they usually indicate that a tree is failing.
  3. Weak branch unions are areas where branches aren't securely attached to the tree.
  4. Poor tree architecture

Ask a Question