Your guilty pleasure(s)?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Christmas is upon us soon. Time to wine and dine. With all the talks on health hazards in all sorts of foods and drinks, what are your guilty pleasure(s) please?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Good question alp. (y)

Number one is to spoil Bron rotten. :)

Number two is to buy and scoff two big boxes of Nestle Black Magic chocolates which I now do every year over the Christmas period; I'm dairy intolerant but can eat dark chocolate; I just spoil myself once a year with Black Magic; the rest of the year any dark chocolate is fair game. :D:D:D

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My guilty pleasure use to be to just eat and eat....anything and everything.

However, I've learned that eating too much is so easy to do and it's actually a good thing to go hungry occasionally.

I've always been active (at one point I was cycling 50-miles round trip to work and back) and yet as I aged I noticed that I was gaining weight. When I retired from the military I went and hiked the Appalachian Trail (AT).

The thing about hiking the AT is that you are away from towns for several days and you can only take so much food with you, so it's imperative that you ration you food. In the beginning I was miserable, absolutely miserable, both from walking all day long with a pack on my back and not eating much food, not only was I eating way less than I normally do, but I was also burning way more calories than I was when I had all the food I ever needed. I could go on and on...about those extreme bouts of hunger...

But to make a very long story short, I learned that the body is very, very efficient and I soon got to the point where the hunger pains were easily (relatively speaking) ignored. It is incredible just how efficient the human body is; I lost tons of weight, but I was stronger than ever.

I took this new found knowledge back into my personal life and I've cut way way back on my intake. I now will go on a 30-mile bike ride, plus an intense workout in the gym (with weights) before ever eating my first meal of the day, skipping both breakfast and lunch. Bottom line, if you want to lose weight you gotta stop eating; you can't exercise enough to lose that weight; however, you still need to exercise to keep the body strong.

Diet is for losing weight; exercise is for making the body strong. (I know there's some overlap there, but that's the new mindset I now have after that hike.

As for my 'guilty pleasures', I still have them, I can eat a 1/2-pound of m&m's in an hour, with no :sick: feelings:D

I never limit my food intake during special occasions, such as Thanksgiving, but after that's done, I'm back to reducing my intake and putting in the miles:);)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
guilty pleasure. hummm. never been one to go to "junk" food anyway. and I really don't think even with the Holidays I am going to pull out anything "special" . Other than roasting a Turkey this Thursday with my stuffing. Making Pecan Pie. Throughout the year I give myself food "treats" . I believe is spoiling yourself often through the year, lets face it, you will do it better for yourself than anyone else can. be it food, or a day at the spa, or a special ticket to a concert. Life is too short. And not leaving any money for my kids.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My guilty pleasure is dark ale. I had never even tasted it until about 10 years ago. I always drank the watered down beer that us Americans live on. A decade ago I was introduced to dark ale and stouts. I found that these have real flavor and don't have to be consumed at near freezing temperatures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My guilty pleasure is dark ale. I had never even tasted it until about 10 years ago. I always drank the watered down beer that us Americans live on. A decade ago I was introduced to dark ale and stouts. I found that these have real flavor and don't have to be consumed at near freezing temperatures.
yep, when I do have an ale also will go for the dark one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I love this stuff, but I bet there are also some other dark brews that I need to try...Never drink Bud or anything like it again....

guinness_draught_spritzr06bg1_resized_1600-h.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I never feel guilty about pleasure! Perhaps a twinge of conscience, but I soon get over that.
I agree that dark beers and ales are better tasting. I refer to Bud Light as "horse p**s" and consider most beers undrinkable. However, there are some great Mexican beers we can get, and also Shiner Bock, made in Texas.
My guilty pleasure (aka something I can't get enough of) is ham. I adore ham--baked ham, ham in casseroles, ham sandwiches, and a slice of ham eaten out of hand. If we had pigs, not one of them would be safe!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Esther, do they actually sell the cake & brownies or do you make them from a recipe?
you have to make it, just look up the recipe. Guinness Stout Chocolate cake. and its easy to make. the butter is melted slowly in the measure of the beer in a pan. then poured gently into the dry ingredients. pour batter into a greased pan and bake. I like cream cheese frosting on it, but for added yummy sweetened marzipan works well too. Or you can go with simple butter vanilla cream frosting. its a nice moist cake.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
reminds me, I am over in Scotland this past August, and said to myself, "self we have to try the Scottish beers" so I did for a few evenings. Finally Wednesday, I am like wanting a Martini. But the bar has no OLIVES. Like really---none. But they have lovely gin, and some dry vermouth. So told the bartender to put some gin in a glass and about 9 drops of vermouth. He did. but said he never poured anything like that. Anyway, and I again said---and you have no olives. He said,,, "Oh no, then that is a cocktail, we don't make cocktails" Love their accents.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I just spoil myself once a year with Black Magic; the rest of the year any dark chocolate is fair game. :D:D:D

For me, it has to be Ferrero Rocher and the white ones, Raffaello
.. I feel so bad and so good chomping through them. Can finish a box of 16 in 2 hours. Christmas day when my son was with his dad, I would stay in my pyjamas and indulge in a bit of Sherlock Holmes (with its sexy violin music).. what more do I need?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If we had pigs, not one of them would be safe!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

My other guilty pleasure is flamed grilled bacon with a bit of fat which is grilled or fried to golden and crispy.

When I tried to lose weight, I bought some Complan.. Then I thought about bacon and the money on the Complan was totally wasted. I went to fry bacon straight after a glass of Complan.. I was so hopeless.

Ask a Question