How do you grow broccoli in pots?

Reaction score
I have a couple of pots with a bunch of broccoli sprouts, are you supposed to thin them out like poppies?
I noticed some have fallen over, the ones that have fallen over seem to be growing upwards anyway, much like poppies do, are they supposed to do that?
How do i decide which ones to get rid of, if i thin them out?

I have no experience in growing vegetables, i only just started out with gardening last year, and i grew poppies, tagetes, marigolds and something else i can't remember the name of. My grandma gave me 2 chili plants she had started from seed, they had almost started flowering by the time she gave them to me.

This year i'm growing tomatoes, broccoli, poppies and i'm gonna try to grow 2 different types of bell peppers, i'm just waiting for the bell pepper seeds.
At the cabin i'm gonna grow a type of crysanthemum, tagetes and amaranthus tricolor (joseph's coat i believe they're called?). Probably these beautiful peony poppies i found as well, love the way they look.
Point is, i'm a straight beginner.

Reaction score
They do need to be thinned, especially in the pots. Dwarf broccoli plants should be planted twelve inches apart, larger varieties should be at least eighteen inches. Try and get the sprouts in consistent light so that they will grow straighter. If you thin keep the sturdiest looking ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They do need to be thinned, especially in the pots. Dwarf broccoli plants should be planted twelve inches apart, larger varieties should be at least eighteen inches. Try and get the sprouts in consistent light so that they will grow straighter. If you thin keep the sturdiest looking ones.
Leggy broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussel sprouts will have greatly reduced if any production

Ask a Question