Growing Cabbage, broccoli, & Onion in SIMPLE Polytunnel greenhouse

Reaction score
Today while the weather permitted, my partner and I got a truck load of compost to go on one of the gardens. The truckload of compost cost $37 after tax. Before spreading the compost, we made a polytunnel using water pipe attached together and held in place with small pieces of rebar in the ground. Afterwards, we assembled cardboard in the shape of the polytunnel and then spread 6 inches of compost on top of the cardboard. We collected rocks and lined rocks around the bed to contain the compost.
Then we transplanted cabbage, broccoli, and onions throughout the compost bed and watering with rain that was collected on site. Because we are transplanting in late February when the nights are still between 20-40 degrees, we went ahead and covered the poltunnel with plastic and secured the plastic with long pieces of rebar and rocks. I will have to make sure to uncover the polytunnel on hot or warm days or use garden cloth to cover the tunnel. The idea behind constructing tunnels over the garden beds is to use plastic when it's cold and then use garden cloth when it's hot and to keep bugs out.
Below are some photos I took of the bed to show you the first garden we have put out this year. Although I have had some plants growing throughout the winter, it feels like I'm actually gardening now that I'm transplanting.

-Cassie K, original post @ Growing Cabbage, broccoli, & Onion in Polytunnel greenhouse

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Rebar is pretty stiff stuff, how did you manage to put it in the shape of an arch?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Looks pretty cool!(y)
What the height of the structure?
Onions will do well, but broccoli may need little space.
Keep posted to let us know how it turns out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Be sure to remove the cover as soon as possible; brassicas are cool weather crops, and are susceptible to fungal attack and bolting, in warm, humid environs.

Ask a Question