Growing Cabbages

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
How do you grow cabbages in your garden? I usually buy cabbages from the grocery and lately am considering having them in my garden.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is just a little of the information I found doing a quick such on growing cabbage, there is a lot more information you may want to look into before you get started to have a better understanding of growing this plant, enjoy the info.

USDA Hardiness Zones: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Sun exposure: Full Sun

Soil type: Sandy, Loamy

Soil pH: Neutral

Cabbage is a hardy, leafy vegetable full of vitamins. It can be difficult to grow; it only likes cool temperatures, and it can be a magnet for some type of pests. By planning your growing season and providing diligent care, you may have two successful crops in one year, both spring and fall. Many varieties are available to suit both your growing conditions and taste preferences.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
How do they get all that gas in them? Oh wait, that's after you eat them...:D

Didn't think about these as a fall crop. I'm exploring things to grow in the greenhouse to replace summer crop items. Might consider a couple of containers of these just to give it a go.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Green cabbage is so cheap at the grocery, and we eat perhaps three or four heads a year, so we don't bother with it in our garden. But, the red cabbage is more expensive and harder to find, so we usually put in a half-dozen starts, and get four or five nice heads (not basketball size, but big enough to merit the effort).
We find they attract bugs, but that can be taken care of with insecticidal soap and BT; the cabbage also requires more water, a consideration here in Texas if we have a dry spring; and God bless the bunnies--they love cabbage. We plant in the fenced seasonal garden to deter the rabbits. As I write this, I'm beginning to wonder if the red cabbage is worth it . . . .

Ask a Question