How do I use neem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have some neem that I bough to spray on my tomatoes. I have been reading different articles on how to use it. Some of the articles recommend mixing soap in with the water and neem. Is that necessary? How much should I put in? If so, how much should I put in? What are your thoughts? I’ve never used it before and would appreciate any advice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Mix 1 tsp of neem oil and 1/2 tsp of liquid dish soap to 1 quart of water, or 4 tsp of neem oil and 2 tsp of liquid dish soap to 1 gallon of water. Shake well. (Neem oil mixes easier with warm water.) Spray the diluted solution generously on all leaf surfaces.
Worked for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry about the typo....
Does the temperature have an effect on neem ?
I don't know if cold weather does or not but warm/hot weather doesn't. The only thing is that it can physically burn leaves if you use it in intence sunlight, so use it mornings and late afternoon

P

Peace perfect peace

Ive noticed here in france the french are very keen to have a clear cover (like a tunnel roof) over their toms
Ive asked what thats all about and ive been told to keep the rain off as the rain cause leaf damage and to shade from the mid-day sun?

Anyone else heard of these idea' s ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What about if you need to use it as a drench to kill fungus gnat larvae? will it not work if dish soap isn't added?

I'm not sure I want to put dish soap on my plants considering whats in it. I need an alternative to mosquito dunks as they are very pricey here in the UK as they are from the US.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What about if you need to use it as a drench to kill fungus gnat larvae? will it not work if dish soap isn't added?
I have never tried it as a drench but I don't think it will work for fungus gnat larvae because it must be ingested to work. Spinosad is the go to product for a drench for larvae of all kinds as it is a contact bacteria. Dish soap may be added as a surfactant but is not really needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never tried it as a drench but I don't think it will work for fungus gnat larvae because it must be ingested to work. Spinosad is the go to product for a drench for larvae of all kinds as it is a contact bacteria. Dish soap may be added as a surfactant but is not really needed.
I'll try some diluted hydrogen peroxide, I've read thats pretty good at getting rid of fungus gnats. I don't have any but I'm hoping to find a pharmacy that will sell me some otherwise I'll have to order it online.

Reaction score
Country
India
Is there any way to deter pests like whiteflies and aphids from coming in the first place?I am completely new at gardening and a lot of my flowering potted plants are getting infested by these pests.I am noticing them way too late and by that time the infestation gets way too much and the plant suffers.
I have been applying neem oil spray but the pests don’t seem to be affected by it.
I have to spray some kind of chemical insecticide which kills them but I don’t know how the insecticide will affect the plant quality!
Please advise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Is there any way to deter pests like whiteflies and aphids from coming in the first place?I am completely new at gardening and a lot of my flowering potted plants are getting infested by these pests.I am noticing them way too late and by that time the infestation gets way too much and the plant suffers.
I have been applying neem oil spray but the pests don’t seem to be affected by it.
I have to spray some kind of chemical insecticide which kills them but I don’t know how the insecticide will affect the plant quality!
Please advise.

You need to identify what is bugging you, so to speak. Neem is a tool, not a cure all. Happily there are other modes of action, but all require a modest knowledge of the target pest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ive noticed here in france the french are very keen to have a clear cover (like a tunnel roof) over their toms
Ive asked what thats all about and ive been told to keep the rain off as the rain cause leaf damage and to shade from the mid-day sun?

Anyone else heard of these idea' s ?
Absolutely. Here white loosely woven translucent cloth is used, for everything from bird to solar control. It helps the surface temps of the plants tremendously without hurting the photosynthesis.

Reaction score
Country
India
You need to identify what is bugging you, so to speak. Neem is a tool, not a cure all. Happily there are other modes of action, but all require a modest knowledge of the target pest.
White flies and aphids are what I keep getting.Aphids keep attacking my miniature roses and hibiscus and whiteflies spoilt my verbena.

Can you suggest anything I can do?

Ask a Question