Neem oil + Japanese Maple = bad idea

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a potted red Japanese maple that is about 4 or 5 years old. Maybe 3 feet tall in a 20in pot. It came to life after winter with vigor. However it slowed down and started wilting. I saw spider mites and I believe root aphids as well. Having recently discovered neem oil I thought it'd be great. Oh was I wrong. I knew hibiscus didn't tolerate neem well but maple flat out shriveled and dropped every leaf in about 3 days.

Some googling clued me in to the fact that maples are very neem sensitive. Very. In hopes of washing away any residual neem I brought it inside and put it in the shower and showered it with cool water once a day for the last 3 days. (I live in an apartment, so no garden hose) The soils drains well so it's not water logged. Still no life.

Will it come back? I find it hard to believe a treatment of oil will flat out kill a tree. Albeit a young tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Neem is not to be used in hot afternoon sun on anything. It acts like a magnifying glass. Only use Neem in mornings or late afternoons

Reaction score
Country
United States
Definitely not sun scorching. It's on a covered porch. This is more like the plant is allergic and just went in to anaphylaxis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Definitely not sun scorching. It's on a covered porch. This is more like the plant is allergic and just went in to anaphylaxis.
Strange.................but then I have never encountered maples of any kind here in Texas

Ask a Question