Neem Oil Solution

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I've been reading gardening blogs online. I've heard so many people mentioned neem oil solution as a natural way of treating your garden. Does it really work? The solution called for 1 tsp per gallon of water. Is that truly enough to kill bugs and prevent diseases?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been reading gardening blogs online. I've heard so many people mentioned neem oil solution as a natural way of treating your garden. Does it really work? The solution called for 1 tsp per gallon of water. Is that truly enough to kill bugs and prevent diseases?
Yes, it works well on many things but your ratio is wrong. It works well when used at 1 -2 OZ per gallon of water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cool, I am going to give it a try. I've been trying hot pepper solution which I don't think work.
Cool, I am going to give it a try. I've been trying hot pepper solution which I don't think work.[/QUOTE ]
Hot pepper tea works..............BUT.............not all hot peppers are created equal. Hot pepper tea works extremely well on soft bodied insects if the CAPSAICIN levels are high enough. These days Jalapenos, Serrano's and most "hot peppers" have been degraded as to allow the majority of folks to actually consume them. Most people cannot eat really hot peppers such as Habeneros, Scotch Bonnet, Peter Peppers etc which are high in capsaicin also rated in Scoville Units. It is these high capsaicin peppers that are great insect killers. An extremely high capsaicin level pepper such as a Trinidad Scorpion will actually blister human skin and God only knows what it would do to a human eye. These types of peppers are very effective against some caterpillars and insects. They aren't very effective against hard bodied insects such as beetles and stink bugs but they do have a detrimental effect on them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The neem tree became popular here in the 1980s for its natural repellent for insects. The proponents of that tree, which I believe came from India, say that when you have a neem tree in your garden, the mosquitoes will be away because it exudes an oil that is anathema to the mosquitoes. But I don't think it is true because the hype died down just like that. Our neighbor has a neem tree... and we still have those pesky mosquitoes.

Reaction score
@Corzhens

I think everything changes once that oil is extracted ;) I used that oil and gave me a lot good results, I didn't see any aphids that last year I used it on my kalanchoes. It's truly an amazing thing, I got tired of using the same soapy solution, so I decided to try this one. I'd do it again (y)

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
This is quite a useful oil. The tree has so many uses ranging to fourty in all its parts. Nothing is lost of the neem tree as all its parts are useful. I would think it is useful for the garden certainly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have not had good results with it. My plants appeared to be burned or stressed out after using the oil to treat them.
Your leaves were a little damaged before the use of neem, by either aphids and/or white fly. They will grow back healthy. There are only 3 insecticides that a gardener needs. Neem, as a last resort, Spinosad for everything except caterpillars and Bt for caterpillars. These three organic remedy's will take care of every insect problem anyone will encounter in the garden. What is most important is vigilance concerning the plants health. Without this, things can and will get out of control

Ask a Question