How did you get started in gardening?

Reaction score
I had a friend when I was a kid and her mother really loves plants. I got bored in our games, so I decided to see what her mother was up to. She was tending her potted plants. She gave me a "magic rose" and told me to plant it. I became hooked with planting flowers, vegetables and fruits since then.

Reaction score
I had a friend when I was a kid and her mother really loves plants. I got bored in our games, so I decided to see what her mother was up to. She was tending her potted plants. She gave me a "magic rose" and told me to plant it. I became hooked with planting flowers, vegetables and fruits since then.

Cheesy, what's a "magic rose"? Must have been a great flower to get you hooked like that.

Reaction score
Cheesy, what's a "magic rose"? Must have been a great flower to get you hooked like that.

I forgot what our Botany professor called it when I brought it to class. It's a succulent plant with colorful flowers. You can cut off a stem and plant it and it will grow roots in a few days. (I will take a picture of the ones I have next time.)

It just seemed like magic to me. She gave me a lot of stems with a lot of colorful flowers. I planted them in a row and watered them everyday. They grow fast and it seemed so magical to me back then.

Reaction score
I forgot what our Botany professor called it when I brought it to class. It's a succulent plant with colorful flowers. You can cut off a stem and plant it and it will grow roots in a few days. (I will take a picture of the ones I have next time.)

It just seemed like magic to me. She gave me a lot of stems with a lot of colorful flowers. I planted them in a row and watered them everyday. They grow fast and it seemed so magical to me back then.

Magic how easily those can propagate with just a leaf. I love succulents.

Reaction score
No, not leaves. They weren't kalanchoe. They were these little plants with succulent stems and leaves. You can tear off a stem and plant it.

There are so many different kinds of succulents. The one I was thinking of is the middle one in the top row here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=suc...4-zPigBL7EgNAO&ved=0CLoCEIke&biw=1239&bih=581

I thought that one cause of the word "rose". I think there is a succulent with tall stems that produce those type of "rose" looking parts on the ends. Looking at those pictures, I want so many! haha

Reaction score
We've always had a backyard and for some reason, it became a natural interest for me to keep on exploring what I see in the garden. Also, when I was in elementary school, one of our very first projects related to plants was to plant a green bean in small pot. It was so amazing to see it grow into a fullblown plant! After that, I just remember that I keep on experimenting on the seeds that I see and if the plant dies, I would keep on reading what caused it and how can I do it better next time. Overall, I think I'm naturally a plant lover.

Reaction score
There are so many different kinds of succulents. The one I was thinking of is the middle one in the top row here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=suc...4-zPigBL7EgNAO&ved=0CLoCEIke&biw=1239&bih=581

I thought that one cause of the word "rose". I think there is a succulent with tall stems that produce those type of "rose" looking parts on the ends. Looking at those pictures, I want so many! haha

Nope, not that one. I forgot to take a picture of them, before my dog tore them off the ground and littered them all over the yard. He has a thing for plants. I will ask my teacher and I will get back to you. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Actually, my brother got me started. He had lived in New York City (because of his work) for years and hated being in the city. He finally rented a townhouse, where he had access to the backyard, and he started a garden. He had no idea what to do, he just bought a flat of flowers and a trowel and went to work. I was lucky that he passed on his enthusiasm to me.

When getting started with gardening, the best place to start is your local nursery. Go to an actual nursery, not somewhere like Lowe's or Home Depot. They will know your growing conditions best and are knowledgeable about what things grow best/easiest in your area. I've found that they are a font of knowledge and can save you a lot of headaches and help with planning your garden.

For flower gardening, you'll probably want a mixture of annuals (plants that die each year) and perennials (ones that come back each year). Annuals usually bloom all season, whereas perennials have a much shorter bloom time (so make sure you choose perennials with varied blooming times). Again, your local nursery can help with selection.

For vegetables, you'll want to find a sunny area, as most veggies want full sun.

Having said all this, the best thing is to just do it. You'll learn quickly what works and what doesn't. Good luck and have fun!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My mother. She was always alone trying to garden something new. Then my Dad's mother (Grams) was into it as well, and she showed me different ways to grow and care for roses and flowers (but I still preferred my Mom, because she was into edible fruits) it taught me a well-rounded love of this field.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted flower seeds in a family garden when I was a child. As a teenager, I kept windowsill houseplants in my room. Later, in adult life, I became inspired by the beautiful gardens that I saw around me in my community, so I started planting simple flowering plants in a small garden. I continue to do this every year. It is enjoyable.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I grew up with my grandparents on their farm and my grandma had a huge, and I mean huge, garden. I spent all my time as a baby, toddler, child, and teenager out there planting, watering, and picking. I loved sitting out there picking green beans, ears of corn, and squash. The strawberry patch had to be my favorite though but I am not sure why. They also had an orchard by the garden with grapes, apple trees, and pear trees. Then at the edge of the woods there were so many wild blackberry bushes and it is safe to say that is why blackberries became my favorite fruit. I would go out to pick them and I would end up eating most of them! Basically my grandma's garden is my dream garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My mother had a beautiful garden when I was a child. We were in a duplex area in San Jose and she had fostered a really nice garden with persimmon trees, ect. We also went to a lot of state parks, ect so my interest and love of nature has always been with me haha.

Ask a Question