Horse troth

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thinking of purchasing a couple troths and raising off ground with block. Is this a good idea for fruit trees and veg?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thinking of purchasing a couple troths and raising off ground with block. Is this a good idea for fruit trees and veg?
Horse troughs, depending on the depth are better for trees than for plants. Just make sure to make plenty of drainage holes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
These are 2'+2'+6'. Our backyard is all concrete and We're thinking this would be great for small tree and various wild flowers or veg and fruit plants. Also available in 4' and they can be painted and or stenciled. With the price of lumber this has to be less expensive than building raised beds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
These are 2'+2'+6'. Our backyard is all concrete and We're thinking this would be great for small tree and various wild flowers or veg and fruit plants. Also available in 4' and they can be painted and or stenciled. With the price of lumber this has to be less expensive than building raised beds.
2 feet deep is rather deep for plants and flowers. They will grow fine but it seems such a volume of soil for plants that don't have that deep of a root system is somewhat of a waste of good soil.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Rowdy, this is one of those things that may sound like a good idea, but may not be.
Horse troughs are made to hold water, which is heavy. Therefore, they are extremely sturdy. That is the good part. The bad part is that you are going to need drainage to keep from drowning your plants, and drilling through the trough to make drainage holes will be very difficult. Also, the excess water will be draining onto your cement and staining it.
Have you considered having a cement contractor come out, cut out a section of the cement, then you scoop up as much of the gravel underlayment as possible, and fill the hole with garden soil and compost? You have your garden, you have a patio, and I would think it would be less expensive and much easier than the trough method.
Let us know how it works out for you, please.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Around here contractors don't get out of truck for the price of a troth. When I hit the lottery I will think about it and let You know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Are you referring to the Rubbermaid stock tanks? We use them for pond filters and when one developed a leak we decided to use it as a planter. We already had a 3" hole drilled in the bottom and added several other 2" holes. We grow spring lettuce, carrots, onions and then put tomatoes in. I don't know where in US you are located but our tank froze and cracked up on blocks in southern Maryland. Does great as a planter though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No Sir. These are galvanized troughs. We're in socal so these should work fine for a dwarf tree or tomato plants and such. Maybe some wildflowers around tree for bees and color.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now we're on the same track. Only thing I wonder is if it's safe to grow in. I'm guessing if livestock can water from it it's safe.

Ask a Question