Anyone Grow Horseradish???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I planted a starter root early this year, and now have a pretty good size plant. I planted this in a planter box because I had a fellow tell me that Horseradish will take over a yard/garden like a weed. Anyway..... not sure when to harvest. Also.... not sure if I should just go ahead and find a spot to plant it in the yard and just let it take over. Whatcha think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have never known horseradish to be invasive. I wish it was! We always harvest in the spring before the true leaves come out as the flavor is the best then. After that the root gets dry and woody. Its best planted in the ground as the roots can get very long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have never known horseradish to be invasive. I wish it was! We always harvest in the spring before the true leaves come out as the flavor is the best then. After that the root gets dry and woody. Its best planted in the ground as the roots can get very long.
I planted in spring, and then I shall harvest the next spring? Do you also leave a root in the ground so you can keep it going?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I harvest in the fall and replant the same time, mine is going crazy this year. It started shading out my Chocolate mint so I have been trimming back the leaves for a mulch. It's much bigger now, this picture was taken 6 weeks ago!

43479476102_0960b0ed00_b.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It IS invasive, best kept to pots.
The best time to harvest it is November.
You won't get it all out unless you empty the pot, so if it breaks, just top dress and that'll usually be fine for the next year.
Another reason to grow in pots is that it shouldn't get too much water, and this should guarantee good pungency.
Used as a substitute for Wasabi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It's a brassica, perhaps you're soil is too acidic for it to really take off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
It is treated as an annual. A shoot is planted in the Fall and it produces.
28 September 2016 Horseradish (Processing)
Posted on September 28, 2016 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2016/September 2016/28 September 2016 Horseradish/HTML/28 September 2016 Horseradish
The second garden horseradish plant was dug and processed for making horseradish condiment. My intent was to process into powder and make the condiment as required to have it fresh, but I found it impossible to dehydrate so abandoned the attempt and referred back to the tried an true method. The roots were washed in a home clothes machine, this is sufficient for the operation. The discoloration is swamped and not visible. The small root pieces were blended in a tall container with a hand blender. Water and vinegar are the conventional liquids used. After blending the excess liquid is removed. The very hot tasting condiment is kept in a closed jar in the refrigerator and keeps for 2 to 3 weeks without deteriorating. The excess roots were vacuum packed for storage. Vacuum packed produce must be stored in the freezer for long term and in the refrigerator for short term. Vacuum is not a storage/preserving method. Pictures depict the process.
dsc_414828%20september%202016%20horseradish_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My favorite way to prepare it, is to throw a peeled root in a blender with a small turnip and and some vinegar and puree. Really good on deer steak. Looks like I'm going to be buying myself a half whiskey barrel and increase product next year. I like the idea of harvesting in November. I grow certain things to have ready for Thanksgiving. Looks like prime rib this year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Brings up some old memories of growing up in Wisconsin. Grandmother had them planted under/around her bleeding hearts/dutchman's pants.

Ask a Question