Honeydew seedlings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Should I be concerned about them leaning over like this? If yes, how can I help them? I kept turning the tray so they'd stay straightish but I don't know what's happened now.

Follow up question; are they big enough to transplant outside? I was going to wait longer but I figured I might as well ask while I'm here.

Attachments

• 13254100_1362878790405192_6850588108720287178_n.jpg
    13254100_1362878790405192_6850588108720287178_n.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 264
  • 13254232_1362872750405796_8110188302177386661_n.jpg
    13254232_1362872750405796_8110188302177386661_n.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 305
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Honeydew melons grow on the ground. I would guess they are normal, but I don't have much experience with melons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I figured they'd grow up to a certain height then grow out. Wasn't expecting them to fall over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are what is called leggy. They aren't getting enough light and are reaching out to it. They aren't nearly big enough to transplant but if it isn't going to get cold take them outside into the sunshine and bring them in at night

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are not leaning towards the window, the stems are falling to the side or away from the window.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I started some tomatoes from seed this spring and several of them got leggy and started falling over like yours. But when the weather got nice I started hardening them off outside. The "weaker" ones fell over and perished, but the survivors really took off once they started getting outside time and started growing strong. Get those babies outside!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I checked on them again first thing in the morning. They are not growing towards more sunlight, they are growing away from sunlight. One seems to be correcting itself but another is even worse. Its gone from growing to the side to growing in the exact opposite direction from the window. Why would a plant do that? Why would it grow away from the sun?? There isn't any light behind it, its supposed be growing towards the window. But its not reaching towards light like normal, its reaching away from it. Maybe it just needs some time to correct itself like the other seedling.

I thought maybe it didn't have enough water or too much water and that's why it was drooping, but I checked the soil and its not too wet or too dry. (although i've never grown melons so i could be wrong) Besides, it seems perfectly healthy otherwise, with a strong stem/leaves, vibrant green color, and putting out new leaf buds. Maybe someone in the house accidentally pushed it over. That's has happened with my indoor plants before, but because of that I made sure these seedlings are in a safe protected place away from people. I'm the only one who ever squeezes back there...

I looked it up and its called phototropism. Positive phototropism is when they grow towards their light source. Negative phototropism, or skototropism, is when they grow away from it. It has to do with the direction the light is coming from. Wikipedia said: "Some vine shoot tips exhibit negative phototropism, which allows them to grow towards dark, solid objects and climb them." But as far as I'm aware, honeydews don't do that. They're not climbing vines, they're crawling vines.

I was just looking at them again and my dad saw them. He thinks they're falling cause they can't support their own weight and should be transplanted outside. But he's been wrong about plants before so I've learned to take his advice with a grain of salt. Maybe he's right, maybe not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Take them outside but don't transplant. They don't have enough of a root system yet. You will take a big chance of killing them if you do. And you are correct, they are crawling vines. Perhaps they are laying over getting ready to crawl?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with the others and think you should take them outside, but don't transplant yet. I'm also a little curious why didn't you just plant the seeds in the ground?

Ask a Question