Help with landscaping front yard

Reaction score
We are removing some of our grass widening our flower bed, alongside the driveway and doing a nice shape to the front yard. I'm unsure what if anything I need to put over the dirt before planting any shrubs and plants. Of course when we're done planting we would lay bark dust of some kind. Can anyone tell me what if anything I need?

I will then need ideas of some plants. We live in Oregon and we want something for all seasons so it looks good all year not in just one season and we don't want too much where it looks sloppy. We really like grasses & evergreens. This will be right in front of the house where we have 2 windows so we would like a nice shrub under each window. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated. I will try to upload a pic once we get rid of all the grass. thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

It would be good to see photos of the site, and perhaps get more detailed information about the soil, light, slope, aspect, etc.
Do use some kind of organic mulch, it will add many benefits to your garden beds. Bark is often used, 'bark dust' not so much.
By 'evergreen' do you mean any plant that keeps its leaves all year? I find that some people equate 'evergreen' with 'conifer'.

Ask a Question