Native Plant Landscaping Help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I live in the midwest (zone 6B) and I'm interested in landscaping my front yard with only native plants. Also, I have an interest in those native plants being good for the pollinators (bees and butterflies). My front yard is north facing with plenty of sun.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I would love to pick your brains about what was successful and how you went about achieving it. In my mind, It seems like the plants would be more likely to thrive since they are meant to be growing in the area anyway.

I attached a photo of the style of garden I would like to achieve, but I'm not attached to any specific plants. I have also attached two photos of the are we have dug up for the garden. We have not edged the garden or amended the soil yet.

Attachments

• IMG_6258.JPG
    IMG_6258.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_6292.JPG
    IMG_6292.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_6291.JPG
    IMG_6291.JPG
    360 KB · Views: 239
Reaction score
Country
United States
There are a wide variety of Midwestern prairie (and similar) plants that will grow well together your sunny bed. Though you also say it is north-facing so there may be some shady pockets as well. I would start by making a list of plants you find most attractive. Pay attention to their height and spread so you can place them correctly in relation to each other. Also find a list of larval food plants for local butterflies and try to incorporate them into your design, such as Milkweeds (Asclepias) for Monarch butterflies. Also plant nectar plants such as a variety of daisies (Asteraceae) and Verbena. Amend your bed with a nutritive compost at time of planting and then mulch yearly with more compost. Also plant a few legumes (Fabaceae), such as Baptisia, as they house nitrogen-fixing bacteria in their roots.
Your example image shows Joe-pye (Eutrochium purpureum, formerly Eupatorium purpureum), and Black-eyed Susans (Rudbeckia hirta and similar). Both are ideal prairie plants for sunny spots. There are many other possibilities.

Ask a Question