Help with blueberries

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been struggling with my blueberries for the last 2 years. In the summer months they appear to get sun burn so I recently added a shade cover and upped the watering. They currently water on a drip daily when temps are 100+. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
IMG_0578.jpeg
IMG_0579.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have your blueberries planted in alkaline soil and they are showing you they don't like it. The best soil for Blueberries is loam or an acidic mix. The pH needs to be between 4.5 to 5.5 for the plants to thrive. Also if you give the plant a drip irrigation and the tap water is 7 or above it will do the same thing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I planting them in a mix of Azalea mix and peat moss. The tap water here is very high in PH 8+ which could be causing this. This there any recommendations to correct the PH of the water on the irrigation system?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I planting them in a mix of Azalea mix and peat moss. The tap water here is very high in PH 8+ which could be causing this. This there any recommendations to correct the PH of the water on the irrigation system?
Yes, you can use Reverse Osmosis or Rainwater. I use large plastic trash cans under my eve to catch rainwater. My tap water has a pH of 8.9 and will lock up the iron in the soil. When using tap water my tender sensitive plants will turn yellow on the tops.

With greenhouse operations, we use acid injectors to lower the pH before the water hits the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lastly, when growing blueberries, I use peat moss and finely shredded pine bark to replace the soil. Its best to add a slow-release or time-release fertilizer like Osecote 14-14-14 to replace nutrients. .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pH of the soil looks suitable to me. A higher pH will cause iron chlorosis and the leaves look like this:
hgic_fruit_NonLiving_chlorosis_5407854_1600.jpg

But yes, using tap water (high pH/carbonates) will cause your pH to rise and then the leaves will look like that in due time. Do not use that. Use rain water or distilled water. You can use tap water but you have to counteract it with a form of acid to lower the pH. I use the 'cheap' fertilizer for Azelea bushes on mine. I've had to add quite a bit of Sulfur because I planted mine in an area that had limestone rocks embeded. I know I'm in for a pH roller coaster ride and I'm still fighting it.

Ask a Question