Help with the blueberries, only one with berries

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

We have three Elliot blueberry bushes in the same spot. You can see two in this picture. The left one has hundreds of berries. The one on the right (and the one not in the picture), no berries. Last year, all three had berries.

I’ve read up on diagnosing various problems with blueberry bushes, but nothing seems clear to me.

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United States
BB96D303-DC8C-4BA4-AF52-09043AE0BBB5.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It appears that the plant on the right is a lighter color which probably means a lack of potassium and/or magnesium

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your thoughts. I was going off some internet sites that said magnesium deficiency results in very red looking leaves. Last week or two ago I used Miracle Gro organic for edible plants.

What do you recommend? Could the pH be too high?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dont use anything that says nitrate. It is toxic to blueberries. Ammonium or urea is fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for your thoughts. What do you recommend?
Besides your normal fertilizer, I would try a product called Liquid Iron. It is a great source for micro-nutrients. It may or may not make your plants produce but it will not harm them in any way and it will give them what minerals your fertilizer does not.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So what is it about that tub in the background that makes me think moisture differences can be at play?
It’s difficult to see the perspective, but there really isn’t anything near the bushes. I think they both get similar rain and sun.

I used an acid loving plant fertilizer.

I think the pH might have been higher around the second plant. Could that be it? Based on the leaves what do you think is most likely?

I also added the Espoma acid treatment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s difficult to see the perspective, but there really isn’t anything near the bushes. I think they both get similar rain and sun.

I used an acid loving plant fertilizer.

I think the pH might have been higher around the second plant. Could that be it? Based on the leaves what do you think is most likely?

I also added the Espoma acid treatment.
What is the Ph of the second plant? Too high of Ph can/will cause a lighter green and a yellowing of leaves. The Espoma acidifier is a good product to lower Ph.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When the pH starts to get too high you get iron chlorosis. The leaves yellow and the veins are still greenish. Later stages can get an orangish color in the leaf. I don't see that on your plants.

Iron Chlorosis:
chlorosis2_600px.jpg

I've been battling high pH with my blueberries since I planted them because I didn't lower the pH of the soil before planting them which would have saved me alot of troubles. Do not water blueberries with tap or creek water unless you can correct the pH with vinegar. The carbonates will cause the pH of the soil to go upwards. Use rain or distilled water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I have a pH meter that I thought didn’t work. But maybe it does. The first plant shows a pH almost too low (around 4). The second plant, around 7. Can’t believe it is that different three feet apart. I used Miracle Gro for acid loving plants, and about a cup of Espoma (all I had left). Bought 20 more pounds. I will add another cup this weekend.

So I am guessing I missed this year’s crop?

Reaction score
Country
United States
When the pH starts to get too high you get iron chlorosis. The leaves yellow and the veins are still greenish. Later stages can get an orangish color in the leaf. I don't see that on your plants.

Iron Chlorosis:
chlorosis2_600px.jpg

I've been battling high pH with my blueberries since I planted them because I didn't lower the pH of the soil before planting them which would have saved me alot of troubles. Do not water blueberries with tap or creek water unless you can correct the pH with vinegar. The carbonates will cause the pH of the soil to go upwards. Use rain or distilled water.
Mine may be lighter green but darker than these. But mine have no red dots. So I was tricked. I wish the leaves would have given me a clearer sign. And they had berries last year. But I guess it’s on me for missing it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@1911 have you been watering it? Watering with what, city water?

You'll want to use a fertilizer like for azalea bushes which is for acid loving plants. Manure tends to make the pH rise over time. Espoma has a berry-tone fertilizer for blueberries and azalea-tone but it contains poultry manure so I'm not sure about that. Maybe they add an acidifier to it or something.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m now using Miracle Gro for acid plants, and Espoma for the soil pH. But I’m guessing this years harvest is not salvageable.

Ask a Question