Help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were twits when we bought our greenhouse. We managed to place it between two sheds, under a large tree and in front of a fence. Consequently it gets little light and being in the Midlands, not too much sun! So it’s used for storage.
It’s not possible to relocate it and we don’t want to get rid of it. I’d love to have a go at greenhouse plants and veg - any suggestions for increasing light and warmth? That doesn’t involve loads of electricity?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That seems to be a rather strange introduction on a new garden forum :unsure: Hello, and welcome ''Why''
There is no clever answer to that question is there? Something has to be moved, or else it will stay as it is.... won't it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That seems to be a rather strange introduction on a new garden forum :unsure: Hello, and welcome ''Why''
There is no clever answer to that question is there? Something has to be moved, or else it will stay as it is.... won't it.
I was trying to find out if others had gotten over this problem by using artificial lighting/heating, and how successful these might have been. That's all.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon that in the long run you would find the effort of moving it well worth while, mind you, if we have lots of very warm summers, you may even have better results keeping it a bit more shaded. At least you won't have to paint the glass. What are the chances of pruning the tree back at some point?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not my tree . And it’s huge! I might just have another go at growing stuff in it - I have to admit that most stuff I try to grow just dies anyway! Tried cucumbers but they’re supposed to be hard to grow anyway.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well the very first thing to do is clear it out and stick all the stuff in the sheds. If there's no room in them, have a good old clear out and make some space. Can you take a photo of your garden space and post it on here, then maybe we can have a good think, and come up with a stupendously good and cunning plan. :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Tetters. I’d need to sacrifice my vegetable patch and I have more luck with that than the greenhouse! Or the ancient vine would have to go - ain’t happening, or bulldoze the house . Was thinking of some sort of greenhouse UV lighting, if it exists.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I looked at wind generators a little while ago, you can get one for £200 - £300 nowadays. If you could get one to light the greenhouse in the day and charge batteries for a hedge cutter, mower and a few other things it could be worth it.

Ask a Question