Help with backyard perennial flower/ bush ideas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
o6e6rHy.jpg

I'm revamping a bed in the backyard and before I finished mulching was thinking about adding some new perennial plants/ flowers. It's facing east/ south east and right up against a stone retaining wall which is maybe 4-5 feet high. There's zebra grass on the left that does very well and last year I planted a hydrangea that was gifted to us but didn't really do well; brown tips on the leaves even though we were watering quite frequently. I think it just got too much sun.

I would really love a couple blue mophead hydrangea's but don't think they're in the cards because of the afternoon sun. My second thought was a neat butterfly bush like this but don't know if it'd get enough sun: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0070/4040/1477/products/fourthofjuly_720x.jpg?v=1606877953

And then maybe surround the butterfly bush with hostas/ salvia or something else. I want to stick with a perennials, relatively low maintenance and something that will give me nice blooms. Very open to any ideas. TIA

Central MA - zone 6a.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums. :)

I can't help you with Hydrangeas but there's no reason why Buddleja's (butterfly bush) shouldn't thrive in that bed. They'll get plenty of sun. My own are in a north west situation and bloom well with just late afternoon sun.

Lupins are herbaceous perennials and worth considering but may grow too tall for your needs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @nepats197 and welcome :) The first point I will make is that you will never find a buddleia that looks like the picture on the link.
My advice to you would be to find a local nursery/plant centre and look at what they are growing. Choose something that you like the look of, and check if it's hardy. If it is not - don't buy it! If you visit the plant centre regularly, and choose a plant in flower at the time that you like, and continue doing this throughout the year, you will have something flowering there most of the time. Most importantly, have fun, oh and the miscanthus you are growing there (zebra grass) will spread. You may need to keep in in check - I know that from experience. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hello @nepats197 and welcome :) The first point I will make is that you will never find a buddleia that looks like the picture on the link.
My advice to you would be to find a local nursery/plant centre and look at what they are growing. Choose something that you like the look of, and check if it's hardy. If it is not - don't buy it! If you visit the plant centre regularly, and choose a plant in flower at the time that you like, and continue doing this throughout the year, you will have something flowering there most of the time. Most importantly, have fun, oh and the miscanthus you are growing there (zebra grass) will spread. You may need to keep in in check - I know that from experience. ;)
Thanks for the reply. Yes I figured the butterfly bush picture was doctored to make it look extra vibrant. And agree with the zebra grass, it gets quite large as it is and need to chop it down every year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is always best to leave the grass complete with seeds during the winter months as it is useful to small birds, and still gives some shape to the garden. I cut mine back in the spring just as the new shoots start to appear. It spreads by rhizomes and pops up just when you don't expect it. There are a lot of different smaller ornamental grasses that could be used in your bed to fill it.
Hydrangeas, by the way need lots of shade and lots of water. If you can give them that, they will survive - however, they will only ever have blue flowers if the soil there is acid. If you plant salvias, make sure they are hardy ones!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
View attachment 95898
I'm revamping a bed in the backyard and before I finished mulching was thinking about adding some new perennial plants/ flowers. It's facing east/ south east and right up against a stone retaining wall which is maybe 4-5 feet high. There's zebra grass on the left that does very well and last year I planted a hydrangea that was gifted to us but didn't really do well; brown tips on the leaves even though we were watering quite frequently. I think it just got too much sun.

I would really love a couple blue mophead hydrangea's but don't think they're in the cards because of the afternoon sun. My second thought was a neat butterfly bush like this but don't know if it'd get enough sun: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0070/4040/1477/products/fourthofjuly_720x.jpg?v=1606877953

And then maybe surround the butterfly bush with hostas/ salvia or something else. I want to stick with a perennials, relatively low maintenance and something that will give me nice blooms. Very open to any ideas. TIA

Central MA - zone 6a.
Brugmansia (Angel's Bells), Shasta Daisy's, Azalea (Rhododendron),Clivia . . . lots' to choose from. :)

Ask a Question