HELP! Viney weeds in my garden

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone

I bought my house 5 years ago and in the front garden there is an abundance of these viney hardy weeds. They wrap around everything I have planted. I dug the gardens and built them after I moved in but for some reason this crap is growing everywhere in the garden, every year. What can I do to kill it? Pulling it all by hand is impossible!

Attachments

• 001B2437-E70E-47E6-987D-1DE602FB41A4.jpeg
    001B2437-E70E-47E6-987D-1DE602FB41A4.jpeg
    415.1 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Does it get small white flowers that look like a poor morning glory? If so you really have your work cut out for you. That would be wild morning glory (sometimes aka bindweed).

The seeds can last for decades in the soil and it will set roots all over the place.

With a lot of work you can get control over it pulling it and pulling it again and pulling it again.

Sometimes something like Roudup will kill it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Roundup is glyphosate based so is a systemic killer. Spray some of the weeds that are away from the plants and it should kill much of it via the spreading root system. If you're worried about using a spray it's also available to paint on.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Been thinking Weeds. I was thinking put Black Plastic down for awhile. Kills everything.

My wife got Morning Glory Seed. I told her what I thought considering I have been fighting it.

Between rows if it don't look tacky Cardboard.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Bindweed / wild morning glory huh. You have a fight in front of you.

I have cleared some garden beds of it but it feels like a never ending process.

1 - You can kill any plant by continually removing the top part and stopping it's ability to make energy. But this family of plants stores a lot of energy in root systems so it will take several pulls to remove it and wear down it's energy.
2 - When you pull it don't just throw it in a compost bin as it will set new roots and start growing before it can compost out. Let it dry out in the sun for a few days to make sure it's good and dead before it makes it into a compost bin.
3 - Roundup won't even always work on the first spray of this stuff even if you do go that route.
4 - Smothering it doesn't always work either as it will run under the cardboard or tarp then come out at the end. Again this is a vine plant and stored a lot of energy in the roots to pull from. This plant will even grow up through several inches of new compost piled on top of it.
5 - Roots can go a LONG way down so chase them as far as you can.

Don't let it go to seed as it will just prolong the fight by years. When you see that white flower grab it and rip it off the plant - even if you're walking to the car on the way to work in the morning.

If it were edible it would be an absolutely perfect Apocalypse garden plant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This has to be one of the worst weeds to get rid of. Pulling it just makes it grow stronger as it multiplies on rhizomes, and they travel a long way.
As Sheal recommended, painting on glyphosate is the best way to start working on it, but even then it will need a lot of applications before you get rid of it (if you ever do) When it grows between other plants, it is a good idea to put thin straight sticks into the ground, up which the weed will climb - then you will have better access with the glyphosate paint.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Commonly known as, 'Bindweed' due possibly to the fact that it's growth entwines and binds whatever it comes into contact with. This twinning and binding can have drastic, death dealing results to plants.
Bindweed, Bellbine Convolvus, whatever you call it. Calystegia sepium is it's latin/botanical name. It appears in the spring, flowers in the summer and dies back late summer early autumn.
The speed at which is grows is, mind blowing. Talk about, 'The day of the triffids'. It's ambition in life is to, grow, flower and die. Botanically this is much the same for most plants. However, bindweed chokes the plants it entwines around. It grows so fast and thick, it will quickly cover it's host plant, thus blocking out valuable sunlight and even rain, in the growing course, stems can become thicker and stronger whereby plant stems are strangled.
So what next. Simply pulling and snapping off the vines. This gets rid of the top growth. However a simple mathematical problem now exisits. One becomes two. Cast your mind to the growing of plants. 'Pinching out' Yes. Basically this is what you and I are doing. This plant is a perennial, it comes up every year. There is no total weed killer that will do the job. I will continue this reply.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The best way to get rid of Bindweed without harming surrounding plants is to pull it out by hand and cut off any stems or root stock that is still visible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
With respect Onionman. There are many gardeners who will disagree with you. YES, for the moment your suggestion will provide an, 'out of sight, out of mind theory.
The moment you snap or cut of part of the vine,that end will produce two new shoots. This perennial will continue to grow it's roots deep underground.

For example. I live opposite a park. Each year the park railings are covered with bindweed. Local council usually spray it with glysopahte. Glysophate travels down the stems as a systemic weed killer. Unfortunately the chemical loses it's power shortly after reaching below soil level. Glysophate neutralises on contact with the soil.

The subterranian root system can be vast. There are many theories about covering over ground areas with mats etc so as to exclude light. Access to light enables the plant to shoot and grow the vines. The roots will continue to grow and multiply in total darkness for who knows how long.

Two years ago. The road outside was dug up etc and a new road laid. It was unbelieveable. As the machines removed the now broken surface, it was like a massive wire entanglement. The bindweed roots had ventured from the park, across the road under the tarmac. So with respect. I do hope this helps you. Please continue to enjoy your gardening.

Ask a Question