Help! The neighbor's goats ate my trees!

Reaction score
Country
United States
You guys are all just awesome. I kinda held back my thoughts about capturing and cooking that goat up and inviting some friends over, but that was before I heard from you guys:ROFLMAO:...

@headfullofbees Thanks for recipe right there. I like your no nonsense style. @ShanniB Straight up just take the goats. Your neighbor was already warned

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Bootsy Well, technically it depends on how you look at it. On the one hand we know they are not yours and taking them without the owners knowledge will add up to that. But on the other hand you're making said owner well aware of the actions you will take if you continue to be provoked. If you feel bad, don't keep them and stew em up. Send them to the local pound.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay @Bootsy :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:....You got me this time. Perhaps I got a bit too passionate about meddling goats. I'm gonna take your advice and try to be a better person

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Can you fence your garden? Not only goats can destroy your plants but also wild animals, if you live near wild animals. You can have a natural fence if you unable to have the artificial one. Consider the relationship between you and your neighbor, not just goats. If he can apologise then you have to forgive him.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Goats eat everything you don't want them to eat. I own two Nigerian dwarf goats and they are very determined. If they find something they like, they will continue to go back to that and never forget about it. I have plenty for my goats to eat and the first thing they run to if I let them out are my rose bushes. Goats hate water, so I follow them around with a squirt bottle and spray them away from what I don't want them to eat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Buggs81 You made me laugh hard at that one Buggs. I knew goats hate water but it really never occurred to me that spraying them away could be such a viable option. Goats are very determined, as you said, and I'm often just amazed at somethings they will eat and the efforts they will put into getting to it. I like the fencing option but have you ever seen a goat rise up on its hind legs and use that fence to its advantage. Oh man, these animals are just crazy at times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am glad I made you laugh!! Yes, goats are very determined and stubborn. Mine do stand on their hind legs all the time and put on a show. They love to get on their hind legs and go after our dogs and strangers. Our dogs are not small either!! My female goat has something against my poor mom and always get on her hind legs and butts her.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Buggs, I don't normally advocate animal abuse, but a friend had a mare that nipped her regularly. She would show up for work with big bruises on her arms, and sometimes her skin would have been broken. I told her how my grandpa broke mules of biting. He took a small empty metal bucket and whacked it over the head when the mule bit. The empty bucket didn't hurt the mule, but the mule sure didn't like the sound and gave up biting (and may have taken up a different annoying habit.) She tried it and it worked. She and the mare got along very well after one whack.
Give your mama a small metal bucket for Christmas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Can you fence your garden? Not only goats can destroy your plants but also wild animals, if you live near wild animals. You can have a natural fence if you unable to have the artificial one. Consider the relationship between you and your neighbor, not just goats. If he can apologise then you have to forgive him.
That is a thought, however, fencing is expensive and the burden of managing the livestock is supposed to be on the owner according to our CC&R's.

And, it would be much easier to handle had the neighbors at least said sorry, or made any kind of effort to replace some of the damaged trees etc. But neither of these things have occurred. The neighbor dogs that roam freely at least chase off wild animals...and I cover some of my veggie beds from the neighbors "free ranging" chickens and local rabbits. But again, completely animal proofing almost 2 acres is very cost prohibitive when goats and NOT DEER are the killer of my trees.

I will seek to individually protect my trees along with taking next steps to neighbors who have repeatedly ignores my pleas to deal with the situation.

Ask a Question