Help! The neighbor's goats ate my trees!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am trying to be a patient neighbor, but the neighbor's goats keep getting out and damaging my property. I've asked nicely, and sent a letter to them when their goats knocked down 2 two to three year-old trees. They don't seem to listen.

I have no leaves left on my blueberries or kiwis in the front of my house while they remain on the plants on the side of my house. This really "gets my goat"!

I am not seeking restitution...just cooperation in their sufficiently containing their livestock. Or, should it be my responsibility to sufficiently protect my plants from their critters?

What would your next step be?

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Oh my! Goats are amongst one the most annoying animals when it comes to plant/trees.I have found out that once goats have located a food source they keep returning until that source is completely depleted. In my country, if goats came on my property and I advised the owners of this and they keep on returning, I just simple take the goats. It is evident the goats do not belong it anyone. Some suggestions, I apologize beforehand
if they come about as harsh.
  • are you able to catch them and relocate them, off course since you have given advised the owners' of the goat to secure them and they have not.
  • Is it possible to fence the area where your trees are planted.
  • Do you have to dog that can be used to scare them off
  • are you able to make an official complaint, like say to the police

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It certainly isn't your responsibility to protect anything on YOUR property from a neighbors animals. You already talked to them about it and it did no good. The next step for me would be a call to the sherrif's department. I'm a simple guy and I live by a simple rule. Be kind, but take no s**t.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It certainly isn't your responsibility to protect anything on YOUR property from a neighbors animals. You already talked to them about it and it did no good. The next step for me would be a call to the sherrif's department. I'm a simple guy and I live by a simple rule. Be kind, but take no s**t.

I agree with this. I love goats and animals in general (we had milk goats for years growing up and they were pets with names as well as providing sustenance) but my next step would be that - if your neighbors are inconsiderate and irresponsible enough to let their animals wander - putting both animals in danger and damaging their neighbors' property - after repeated polite requests, I'd be calling code enforcement, animal control, law enforcement, whoever has jurisdiction. It is certainly not your responsibility and I am also certain that they are violating some sort of local ordinance or code by allowing their livestock to wander into, and destroy others' property.

Give them one more chance to contain their livestock by nicely telling them that the next time you are reporting them to the "authorities." You don't want to make enemies out of neighbors, but they are not being too concerned with your feelings, are they? If it's a money thing, like they can't afford to build an effective fence, maybe (in the spirit of being neighborly) offer to help with fencing.

Or do what @Chuck said LOL. Not what I would do personally and perhaps not legal but may make an effective threat!

Reaction score
This really stinks! I love goats, but you have to be really particular about where you place them. They get into absolutely everything. They are definitely boredom eaters. I would simply talk to your neighbors about the situation and see if you can come up with a compromise. Maybe they could move the goat stalls over a bit our put something between the fence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Those pesky goats have also victimized our extended garden in the vacant lot beside our property. The crops were razed and almost nothing was left. My husband summoned the owner of the goat and showed him the damage. Amid the apology of the goat's owner, my husband warned that next time the goats would raid our garden, my husband would capture the goats and be sold in the market. Here is the photo of the damage....
goat damage copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks to everyone for your ideas! I feel more justified and supported in taking that next official step of contacting authorities--once I figure out who exactly "authorities" are.

I also thank you, Chuck--while I could not ever do this, and am sure it would thwart my desire to be a reasonable neighbor and law-abiding citizen, laughter is certainly good medicine!

Thanks again for your help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This really stinks! I love goats, but you have to be really particular about where you place them. They get into absolutely everything. They are definitely boredom eaters. I would simply talk to your neighbors about the situation and see if you can come up with a compromise. Maybe they could move the goat stalls over a bit our put something between the fence.
Hmm...one in particular is quite the escape artist...you are right that they need extra fencing...or maybe leashing them inside would help manage them without so much expense to my neighbors.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Goat Curry

Cheap cuts like goat and mutton require slow-cooking in strong spices to tenderise - this Jamaican classic is a taste sensation

Ingredients
  • 1 large onion, roughly chopped
  • 10 garlic cloves
  • 100g ginger, chopped
  • 100ml vegetable oil
  • 2 scotch bonnet chillies, chopped
  • small handful curry leaves
  • 3 thyme sprigs
  • 4 tbsp mild curry powder
  • 700g mutton or goat shoulder, diced
  • 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • 300ml lamb or beef stock
  • 410g can pinto, kidney or black-eyed beans
  • juice ½ lemon
  • small bunch coriander, chopped
  • warmed roti (Jamaican flatbread ) and rice, to serve
Method
  1. Place the onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and blend to a purée. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish, add the onion mixture and cook for 5 mins until softened. Add the chillies, curry leaves, thyme, curry powder and 2 tsp salt. Cook for 2-3 mins until fragrant.
  2. Tip the mutton or goat into the pan. Cook for 5 mins over a medium-high heat until the meat has browned. Add the chopped tomatoes and stock. Increase the heat, bring to the boil and cook for 10 mins. Reduce heat, cover and leave to simmer gently for 2½ hrs – remove the lid for the final 30 mins of cooking.
  3. Add the beans to heat through, plus more chilli if you want it spicier. After 5 mins more, remove from the heat. Add the lemon juice and coriander, and stir well. Serve with warmed roti and rice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I
Those pesky goats have also victimized our extended garden in the vacant lot beside our property. The crops were razed and almost nothing was left. My husband summoned the owner of the goat and showed him the damage. Amid the apology of the goat's owner, my husband warned that next time the goats would raid our garden, my husband would capture the goats and be sold in the market. Here is the photo of the damage....View attachment 9723
I like the idea, and would love for the owners to give up their goats as they aren't keeping them in. But in reality, wouldn't capturing these goats and selling them be stealing?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Seriously though, you tell your neighbours that their livestock are destroying your food, and that you'll confiscate any goats in your garden.

You don't have to mean it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Seriously though, you tell your neighbours that their livestock are destroying your food, and that you'll confiscate any goats in your garden.

You don't have to mean it.
In Texas if this were to happen, the aggrieved party can legally hold and restrain the animal, whether it be a horse or cow or goat or any type of livestock and charge a daily fee for keeping the animal and charge for any damages the animal incurred.. If the owner of the animal does not respond within 45 days the animal becomes the property of the damaged party and can be sold (or eaten). If the owner does respond within 45 days but fails to reimburse the damaged party the courts can assess a fine of up to $10,000 and the loss of all animals involved. This is not a common occurrence but does happen, especially in the case of cattle getting loose

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
In Texas if this were to happen, the aggrieved party can legally hold and restrain the animal, whether it be a horse or cow or goat or any type of livestock and charge a daily fee for keeping the animal and charge for any damages the animal incurred.. If the owner of the animal does not respond within 45 days the animal becomes the property of the damaged party and can be sold (or eaten). If the owner does respond within 45 days but fails to reimburse the damaged party the courts can assess a fine of up to $10,000 and the loss of all animals involved. This is not a common occurrence but does happen, especially in the case of cattle getting loose
Yes, but do you really want your relationship with your neighbours to be that soured?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, but do you really want your relationship with your neighbours to be that soured?
Not me, but I haven't had my garden destroyed. For some that I know it would be devastating and I could understand. When I hear about it here it is usually about cows, particularly bulls and what all is entailed with them. But about 3 years ago there was a big fight between some people over peacocks and the damage they did to their neighbors restored vintage car. The peacocks pooped all over the car and it destroyed the paint. 1000's of dollars worth of damage. They wouldn't pay for the damage nor would they pen up their peacocks. The owner of the messed up car shotgunned the peacocks. The peacock owners sued the car owner. The courts made the peacock owners pay damages and the shotgunner had to replace the shotgunned peacocks. I haven't heard if the new peacocks are pooping on the new paint job or not.

Ask a Question